misleading website about pro-96??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nope, the PRO96 doesn't cover the AM and FM broadcast bands. Wishful thinking on someone's part; very deceptive. 73 Mike

SkipSanders

Silent Key
If 'your favorite radio stations' include local aircraft, and local NFM police/fire/business, then it's correct.

Most lower end scanners can't do the FM broadcast band, because it's not the same deviation as mobile radios, being much 'wider', just as TV broadcast channel audio is 'FM', but much wider than mobile radio. If it has a setting for WFM, that's for FM Broadcast and TV Audio.

Two Way Mobile Radio: 6-12.5 'wide' channels (new NFM channels are the narrow ones, and will sound low on audio on a wider tuned older radio).

Broadcast FM: 75 KHz wide (I think) TV is either 75, or a bit wider yet, even.
Wireless microphones intended for quality broadcaster use might also be wide FM, so if you find one and it sounds distorted, try a wider FM setting if available.

ind224

If you have an extended range 96 via Win96 you can in fact tune FM broadcast in using AM mode. You need to go a bit off the dial frequency for example 94.7 comes in on 94.680-640 and is crappy audio, as noted the width. You can still tell what they are saying and make out songs.

But it does come in,and no I'm not defending the misleading specsheet.

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Maybe Rich fixed it after this was posted but I don't see anything on the page that indicates this scanner can do AM/FM broadcast. At any rate, Rich is a stand-up guy who really knows scanners - he's helped design some of the ones many of us own. If it did say something to that effect, I guarantee it was an unintentional mistake.

Besides, why would you pay full pop for the '96 when the PSR500 can be had for the same price and do much, much more? I'm surprised Rich doesn't lower the price and clear his inventory of those old 96's. I would.

EDIT: Upon a second look, I did see one thing that's incorrect - IR remote control? Where? I want one! :D Seriously the PRO-96 doesn't have a IR remote. Rich, you might want to update that.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.