Missing Alberta couple found

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what radio system this couple accessed to get rescued near Fernie B.C. ? They were out of cell phone range and made their way to an abandoned cabin where they put together a radio and made an emergency radio call.

ElK River RCMP were notified and a rescue helicopter sent. Not sure if it was a ham radio. The lady that made the emergency transmission said it was a "radio with a mircrophone".

http://www.theprovince.com/news/alberta/Family+rejoices+missing+Fort+Macleod+couple+found+alive/6475088/story.html

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Probably MoF&R Vhf radio. Unless there is a National park.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
You are probably correct I see a whole bunch of BC Forest Service VHF frequencies in an old frequency book. I did a search of the RR Elk Valley Fire and Sparwood Ham repeater achives. I did hear VE7 RSQ being tested between 3:55 p.m. and 4:25 p.m.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I got the details from a fire chief in the area that I know. The cabin was an outfitters' hut and in a drawer they found a portable radio. They transmitted on it and a trucker heard them on LAD 1 - scratchy and weak but readable enough to call it in.

Kudos to them for keeping their wits about them and finding shelter.

I had kind of figured it was going to be similar to the SRD cabins that dot the Kananaskis region, and the BCFS equivalent of Firenet, but turns out it was not the case.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jay for solving the interesting mystery. So far I have not seen the answer in any media. Good on radio saving the day again. They did have to get the radio working but it did the trick for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.