BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Missing audio

lu81fitter

So, I have noticed today, while scanning the Illinois STARCOM P25 system, specifically the tower site in Metamora in Woodford County, that my BCD996P2 loses the audio on only the Illinois State Police, specifically talkgroup 8-A. Woodford County SD comes through as does Peoria County/City and Bartonville police and fire. If I stay right by the radio when I lose audio, and hit the scan button to force it along, the audio comes back on clear as a bell from another tower. I know it's not ENC because I can hear it on another tower, and other users are coming through just fine. Squelch is sitting on 3. P25 threshold at 8. P25 LP filter is on.
Anyone have any ideas?

Ubbe

the audio comes back on clear as a bell from another tower.
What happens if you stay at that working site and avoid the Metamora one? Can you hear the TG's you want to monitor? If there are no state police affiliated to that site it will not transmit that TG.

/Ubbe

lu81fitter

What happens if you stay at that working site and avoid the Metamora one? Can you hear the TG's you want to monitor? If there are no state police affiliated to that site it will not transmit that TG.

/Ubbe

They are affiliating because the screen is showing that TG active, but no audio. Other departments are coming through clear on the same tower. The state police are the only suspects.

Ubbe

It seems to be a two tower simulcast site at Metamora, but that doesn't explain why it works perfectly with the other TG's.

Control channels are always phase I modulated that are easier to decode with a scanner not made for simulcast, and voice channels run in phase II that are more difficult to decode and demands a perfect signal quality.

Are there any negative effects by staying at that working site?

/Ubbe

lu81fitter

It seems to be a two tower simulcast site at Metamora, but that doesn't explain why it works perfectly with the other TG's.

Control channels are always phase I modulated that are easier to decode with a scanner not made for simulcast, and voice channels run in phase II that are more difficult to decode and demands a perfect signal quality.

Are there any negative effects by staying at that working site?

/Ubbe

It was working fine yesterday. Maybe it's the weather or something. And no, it would not be detrimental if that sight was not enabled. There are a few towers that carry the same traffic. Where do you see that the Metamora site is simulcast?

Nasby

Try squelch 2 and threshold 7.
I’ve had great results using that setting.