Missing first second of p25 transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerjunkie

I noticed on my bdc436hp that when put beside my other scanner it misses the first half to full second of transmission on a p25 trunked system. Any settings that Can make it pick up quicker? Any info would be great. Thanks.

Drumbum

Mine will occasionally miss whole conversations while my 396T is chatting away, if I want to listen to my local P25P2 I almost have to hold it on that system or it will hit 5% of the time, It used to be worse, one of the firmware update made it a little better. I learned to deal with it, also in my vehicle to get the sensitivity where it should have been from uniden I have to use a rooftop antenna, I found a 400 mhz to work best, without it DMR will never pick up in my area

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

knowone7

I was having the same problem with my BCD436HP. I noticed that my old Pro-94 was catching traffic better. I put the old Pro-94 antenna on the BCD436HP and it receives a lot better. A great antenna will always do the job depending on the frequencies you are trying to cover.

J

jlmaddencc

Not only do I miss many quick replies with the BCD436HP and the BCD536HP, that the BC796D and BCD396t and BCD396XT receive and unmute quicker, I seem to have a "compiled error" problem with the BCDx36's that every 16-18 transmission seem to garble up on, that the other three older units receive the same transmission and decode the audio perfectly on.

OF Note:
  • P25 Audio on a Moto Smartnet Type II w Analog & APCO CAI P25 Audio System 1 Site - 7 Towers, Programmed with 1 Control Channel only & or the same CC 3 or 6 times doesn't change the P25 Audio bad habits
  • I noticed with firmware 1.08.06 for the BCD436HP unmutes quicker than some other firmwares.
  • Squelch set at 0 or 2 or 5 or 7 or 11
  • Decode Threshold set to Auto or Manual 8, 11 or 13, Default acts like Auto on many Firmwares but slower and doesn't swing below 8 ever on this particular System
  • Modulation set to FM or NFM doesn't change decoded audio quality, loudness yes, but still misses quick replies like 10-4 while still on the VC or different
  • Hold Time: 0, 2, 3, 8 with Channel Delay set to 0, 1, 2, or 3, (normal System settings seem to be 1 & 3/4 seconds to 2 1/2 second per VC as in hold time, per SDR dongle observations) even when Channel Delay is set to less than Hold Time or 0 & 0 still will not unmute Audio
  • It will show LNK often when it should be decoding P25 Audio
  • End Code set to Ignore, Analog or Analog+Digital none improve quick reply Audio, as expected with Ignore will grab other TGID's Audio
  • Garbled Audio seems to happen when a secondary user key's their mic and obliterates
    Audio Decode on the BCDx36HP's but the 3 Old models continue decoding P25 Audio without a problem
  • Priority Channel are usually limited to just 2 Channels, but even with Priority OFF and unset on 2 Channels, Audio still seems to be missed or delayed unmute
  • ANTENNA RS800 AND Received Strength 5 bars, without antenna 1-2 bars, with Attenuation ON no bars to 1, even corner deflector pointed towards an isolated tower doesn't unmute audio any quicker
  • Loudest local FM station is on 104.1fm
  • On Batteries In charged to 4.14v or Higher, Batteries In but less than 3.3v with External USB cable, Just External Charger
  • 95% of the time just this 1 System Enabled
  • Doesn't make a difference with just this System in a Favorite List or amongst a bunch of other type of Systems that aren't enabled in a Single Favorite List
  • Even a 256kb card with just this System doesn't change the behavior
  • Even Replay and Record disabled doesn't help Audio UNMUTE sooner
  • P25 Wait time always set to 0

NOTHING CHANGES the Ultra Delayed Unmute circuitry

These seems to be a DSP setting issue, that was messed-up along the way from previous series scanners, maybe to alleviated other annoying sounds some users experienced, or necessary for the additional System Types of Phase II and DMR, but it surely puts a "Nail in the Coffin" for the usability for me, Now the BC796d & BC396t do have an occasional hiccup with an Errant TGID coming through, that are programmed in but Locked Out, and an occasional Stabit Error that won't unmute a transmission or 2 in series on the BC796d, but this Unmute Delay causes "decode error" All day Everyday on an unknown amount of transmissions.

My previous post on same topic
I have a new 436 & 536, and an older 796 & both 396s, my local Moto Type II Smartnet system is received well by all, but the 436 & 536 seem to open squelch later and sometimes miss transmissions, and also both x36's seem to mess-up every 16th or 17th transmissions, like the Digital Response times are to-far sped-up on these new ones, most voice transmissions on the System are Digital P25 (and at night all the Analog Channels on the System go dark,) and the Audio problems continue. Like I said it seems as if it (both x36s) compiles errors for several transmissions, then completely obliterate the 16th or 17th transmission, I'll hear something intelligible for a second or 2, then all of the sudden - the transmission, goes completely digital wack with squawking, quieting, digital noise-squawking, quieting and this goes on for 6-8seconds and (if the transmission continues) it goes back to being completely normal digital audio for another 16-17 tranmissions less the missed received tranmissions.

I have used the Digital Response Times thing from the 396t several times and since I have several of those, I've pretty much dialed in the local System perfectly and could easily delineate out bad settings. With these new ones no matter what I set Hold, Delays, and AGC's, it's like the new scanners begin to hiccup. Which is why I'm posting it here in this thread, as it seems to be pertinent to "failing to get audio" when the scanner gets confused for a second.

Even with the Hold time and Channels delays set to 0 the problem continues, if it was a fading reception issue, the audio wouldn't go unintelligible for more than a second, before it dropped the System and tried to reacquired it, mean-while the BCD396t's have normal audio at the exact same time the x36's get confused on the exact same transmission.

Either way IDK and I'm not an expert, I just was willing to tweak until my local System sounded great, but it's not with the 2 new ones hiccuping every so many transmissions,

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Might try tinkering with the digital settings for the site. Edit the Favorites List in Sentinel, go to the site and click the options tab in the right pane.

See if Manual for Digital Threshold Mode helps. Also try some different values for the Digital Threshold Level.

scannerjunkie

Ok so I noticed that it's not missing all the time. I held on a system and noticed it's intermittent. Do I need all frequencies put in for each site or just the primary and alt frequencies? I think this might be the issue.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's unlikely that programming all the frequencies for a site will lead to missing half the transmissions.

That said, your scanner will work as long as it receives a control channel data. So conceptually all you need is one frequency (the "right" one). It's user preference on whether to program just the identified control channel frequencies (primary/alternate) or all the frequencies associated with a site. My preference is to program all because things can change without warning.

If you Google "uniden bcd436 manual" you should see a link to the Uniden site where you can download the user manual. The instructions for checking bit error rate are on page 59.

scannerjunkie

Ok So I think I found the problems. 1 dummy me didn't tighten the antenna and 2 I noticed when signal is 2 bars or less it will have the half second delay. I moved scanner to get full signal and now it's spot on with my other scanners. Thanks for all the help and I will be looking into the error readings and making adjustments as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.