Missing law enf frequencies??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpro48609

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
New to this forum. I used scanners years ago and I am going to buy a new model so I was getting my freq lists ready. Unless times have changed lol, I entered my area (Saginaw MI) and I only have dept stores etc show up. No law enf, medical etc. Do you need a paid subscription to view the frequencies?
Thanks in advance!

MFD4305

Welcome

Hi -09 and welcome to The Forums. A quick check of the database says all of Saginaw County police and fire services are on the MPSCS trunked system. Scroll down to Saginaw County (73) and check out all of the TGs to choose among.
HTH.

wtp

what radio

is it one where you choose what is enabled ? if so you have to enable police/sheriff or whatever you want to hear.

cpro48609

Premium Subscriber
Hi -09 and welcome to The Forums. A quick check of the database says all of Saginaw County police and fire services are on the MPSCS trunked system. Scroll down to Saginaw County (73) and check out all of the TGs to choose among.
HTH.

Thanks! I did click on the trunked link and it expanded what I was looking for, thanks again. So to listen to say Saginaw County (just main 911 dispatch, not car to car, detectives etc) do I need to enter all the listed frequencies? The newer trunk thing is a little confusing. In the old days I could have Saginaw City under one entry, Saginaw County under another ( just main dispatch for both).
But with multiple entries would I enter them in the scanner (Whistler TRX-1) multiple times?

For example to just hear Saginaw county main dispatch would I need a scan bank like this:
County dispatch 851.625
County dispatch 851.675
County dispatch 851.7125
County dispatch 851.950
County dispatch 852.150
and so on.....?

Doesn't seem right for some reason. Do you more or less enter one (main freq somehow) as one entry like County Primary, and the scanner automatically does the mult freq's behind the scenes?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I would really like to get a grasp on this new stuff.

Thanks again!

cpro48609

Premium Subscriber
So I can poss understand this better lol, to listen to midwest medflight 2609, what would you enter in the actual scanner? since 2609 is a very short number I assume it needs to be coupled somehow with another frequency.

Thanks.

Attachments

• med.jpg
    med.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 288

wtp

in the old days

everyone got their own frequency.
and a lot of frequencies went unused when some groups went home for the night.
then came trunking.
so there is a list of frequencies (pool)
when someone presses the mic the radio and computer get together and give that group number a frequency to go to and it will change with every press of the mic usually.
it just takes them from the pool and rotates it.

now for the bad news. it says deprecated for medflight, that means they have vacated from there.
i caught that while typing.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Firstly, you need to understand that now they use an Trunked Radio System, where large numbers of agencies now share small groups of frequencies using Talk Groups. The small numbers you reference are Talk Group (TG) numbers. But to hear those TGs you must program the Trunked Radio System (TRS) into your scanner, and program in the closest site or sites which have the frequencies.

The TRS is this one:
Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
For Saginaw, this is the main closest site:
Site 121, The Saginaw Simulcast
As this is an P25 Simulcast site, be aware you may have issues monitoring depending on your scanner settings, and location due to Multipath Distortion: Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Read up on your TRX manual to understand how to program in Trunked Systems, and do some reading in the wiki and the forums to understand Trunking in general, and P25, etc,... Also ask in the Michigan Forums for local expertise! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.