Sentinel: Missing Monroe County NY Trunked Systems in Sentinel?

jrj13

Premium Subscriber
I went to download some trunked systems in Sentinel for Monroe County (NY) today and couldn't find Fairport Central School System or Wegmans Food Markets. They exist on the data base in Monroe County NY Trunked Systems online in RR. When I go to Sentinel to download the systems to program my SDS200 they are not listed. There might be a few more that are also missing. I updated the data base in Sentinel but still couldn't find them. Am I doing something wrong or is this an error?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
These are both Uniden/Sentinel issues, not any fault of the RRDB.

- Fairport CSD's system has no talkgroups identified, therefore Sentinel ignores it as it does every trunked system without listed talkgroups

- Wegman's is a MOTOTRBO Capacity Max system, which Sentinel also (incorrectly) ignores

Maybe @JoeBearcat can light a fire under someone's arse to get the second issue corrected, as there is no reason for those system types to be ignored

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
What is the system type in the file for the CapMax system?

For a system with missing TGs, that is not Sentinels' issue. No data received = no data provided.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What is the system type in the file for the CapMax system?

For a system with missing TGs, that is not Sentinels' issue. No data received = no data provided.
DMR Tier 3 Capacity Max, here is just one example: SaiaNet (Tier III) Trunking System, Regional, New York

While we're at it, and assuming you can actually get these newer system types included in the Sentinel pull...it's also ignoring DMR Tier 3 Non-Standard system types. Here is an example of that: OneVoice MAX Trunking System, Regional, Multi-State

Let's get this taken care of, these systems are becoming more and more popular as Connect Plus systems (EOL) are replaced with Tier 3.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Correct, not a Sentinel issue. It's a Uniden issue.

Not for nothing but, compared to other software, Sentinel is behind the times. The every Monday deal is ok but the no tg, no download, this is a bit old. Yeah, had plenty of conversations with Paul (R.I.P.) about scannable and Unidens stance on the topic, but why not leave that up to the user, the one who spent hundreds of dollars on the scanner.

Those who purchase @ProScan can download these systems without tg's.

1718285494027.png

Same with Butel

1718296482077.png

Even the Award Winning Outdated & Unsupported Freescan Software can download these systems.

1718284006995.png

It even warns the end user (in bright, hard to miss red) the system may not be scannable.

Really think it's time for Uniden to readdress. Maybe ask Kip to make another appearance. I mean he came, he spoke, and he never logged back in. What does that say to the end consumer?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Uniden downloads what is in the database. Period.

As to "Kip" not being here, that says the USER must know how to read and learn.

Does the CEO of General Motors come out and teach you how to use the features in a new car?

Grow up!

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Yes it does ... except when it doesn't.

Uniden doesn't download any trunking system without talkgroups from the database.
Uniden doesn't download any DMR Tier 3 Capacity Max system from the database.

In other words, Uniden downloads MOST of what is in the database. Period.

Does the CEO of General Motors come out and teach you how to use the features in a new car?

Here let me fix your analogy.

The "CEO of General Motors" is saying, "I don't understand these new features, so you don't get to use them".

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Wrong, as other have pointed out.

Take your own advice. You came into this thread with an attitude and without a clear understanding of a) the discussion at hand and b) the fact that no, Sentinel absolutely does not "download what is in the database." in the context that you're trying to frame it.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Wrong, as other have pointed out.

Take your own advice. You came into this thread with an attitude and without a clear understanding of a) the discussion at hand and b) the fact that no, Sentinel absolutely does not "download what is in the database." in the context that you're trying to frame it.
You couldn't be more wrong.

You, of all people should know what information Uniden downloads. If the county system isn't there.. They don't make it up or search elsewhere.

Your own post said if no talk groups, it isn't grabbed.

@JoeBearcat said it suscintly:
"For a system with missing TGs, that is not Sentinels' issue. No data received = no data provided."

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Surely you all know how to read.

I stated what Uniden downloaded, I did not say that they did not "massage" it before they posted it via Sentinel. If the frequencies, talk groups, etc. are not there, Uniden doesn't look elsewhere.
Ok.

seagravebuff60

Feed Provider

Grow up!
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your boomer analogies.

Anyway, it seems like you are the one who should "grow up" and cannot comprehend that you were repeatedly told by other members (DB admins, no less) that you were wrong. So, I suggest you check your facts, understand the issue better, and just admit that you are the one who "couldn't be more wrong."

This has been an issue for years, and Uniden hasn't done anything about it. Again, it's not a DB issue but an uniden/sentinel issue, which they refuse to fix so far. Long shot but, @JoeBearcat are you listening now?

I have also never used Sentinel other than changing the color screen on the SDS. I think it's a garbage program. I prefer ProScan to program and control any of my Uniden scanners. It outperforms Sentinel, Butel, and FreeScan combined, and I have been using it for years.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your boomer analogies.

Anyway, it seems like you are the one who should "grow up" and cannot comprehend that you were repeatedly told by other members (DB admins, no less) that you were wrong. So, I suggest you check your facts, understand the issue better, and just admit that you are the one who "couldn't be more wrong."

This has been an issue for years, and Uniden hasn't done anything about it. Again, it's not a DB issue but an uniden/sentinel issue, which they refuse to fix so far. Long shot but, @JoeBearcat are you listening now?

I have also never used Sentinel other than changing the color screen on the SDS. I think it's a garbage program. I prefer ProScan to program and control any of my Uniden scanners. It outperforms Sentinel, Butel, and FreeScan combined, and I have been using it for years.
As has been admitted by the the database Admin and the moderator... Uniden does not download data that is not in the RR Database. Once they download it they "filter" and "massage" it and create the upload for Sentinel. They have no other source of data.

Yes, it is Uniden's choice to NOT use Trunked systems that have no talk groups.

That does NOT stop anyone from getting the information from the RR database and creating a favorite list in ID SEARCH mode and discovering what Talkgroups exist and uploading that information to the Database admins so it's included in Uniden's weekly database extract.

It is not Uniden's fault that no one local to the system wishes to read the Wiki information and the owner's manual so that they can learn.

That's my last word on this.