Missing out on improved reception with mobile antenna with no metallic ground plane?

DanLP456

Premium Subscriber
So I’ve become obsessed with improving reception of a local 800 mhz trunked system. I’m currently using an 800 mhz Maxrad Mobile Antenna: 806-896, 4.5dB, BLK Closed, Maxrad Mobile Antenna | Scanner Master. I work from home and it sits on my (wooden) windowsill on an nmo mag mount (I don’t think there’s any tint on the window). I was considering the Austin Spectra (Austin Spectra Austin Antenna Spectra 30/150/450/800 MHz Multiband Mobile/Base Scanner Antenna w/NMO Base Model 202600), but noticed it “Requires a metallic ground plane to operate.” I’m also considering a Laird multi-band: Laird TE Connectivity WPD136M6C-001. Am I losing out on the full potential of my current antenna and the two I’m considering if I don’t have a metallic ground plane?

Thanks,
Dan

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Probably a bit.
The antennas will work best when they have a ground plane underneath them. For 800MHz, that's just a conductive material going out 3" in 3 or more evenly spaced directions. That could be a piece of aluminum foil, 6" x 6" center under the antenna. It doesn't need to be steel unless you want the magnet to stick to it.
Try a pot lid or baking sheet out of the kitchen.

You may not notice any difference at all. If the system you are listening to is strong enough, there may be plenty of signal for the radio to decode properly without it.
If you are on the very fringes and decode is spotty, then it might make enough difference.

If all you listen to is 800MHz, then stick with an 800MHz only antenna. It'll save you money and it'll work better than the do-all wonder antennas.

If you do want VHF, UHF and 700/800MHz, skip the high priced/ugly Laird and go with the Larsen or EMWave multiband antennas, they work well and are less expensive.

As for the Austin Spectra, $189 is pretty dang expensive for what it is.

A year ago I found this gem at the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Cheap and dirty ground plane:

You get the idea, adding a ground plane is easy. For your magnetic mount, you don't need to drill holes, just drop it on top of something metal.