• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Missing/Stolen APX6000's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruver911

The following 3 radios have been reported to me as missing/stolen by 3 of our agencies. Please keep a look out for them. A couple have been gone for 2-3 years, the other was taken from an officer's personal vehicle last month. All are 700/800 P25 Phase 1 and have been disabled on the Kansas & Sedgwick County systems.
H98UCF9PW6BN APX6000li 481CUR5876
H98UCF9PW6AN APX6000XE 756CRF0560
H98UCF9PW6AN APX6000li 755CRF2065

phillydjdan

2-3 years and you're just now finding out? That's government for ya! I came across a missing/stolen radio from the Philadelphia system and I tried to do the right thing and return it to it's rightful owner. What a mess! First the city denied it was thiers, even though (at the direction of a city police officer I had been in contact with) I was able to transmit on several trunked channels. Then a month later they call me back to claim it and tell me they have launched an investigation into the matter. It's like these people don't actually care about their expensive equipment or something....

dgruver911

Won't argue a bit on this one. Accountability is an issue. If I didn't do firmware updates every 2 years on all radios, I probably wouldn't know about two of these at all. Do an annual inventory and call me if they disappear so I can get them shut off.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It's easy for agencies to lose radios. I had a radio lost by a DA investigator earlier this year when courts were closed. He didn't know the radio was gone until July when courts started to "open up" and at a roll call noticed his radio missing. He reported it immediately. Ironically, it sent an EA around May 14th at 1930 hours. Our center did NOT report this to radio support so we didn't know. TLDR version, radio was picked up by a citizen who took it to a pawn shop. Pawn shop held it for 90 days and sold it on Ebay. At the time, since it wasn't in GCIC/NCIC as stolen, the pawn shop's submitting their pawn record to the AHJ got nothing back on it. Nevermind it had "COUNTY NAME" on the radio alias and the pawn time matches when we got the EAs, but it was gone and sold across the country.

We were able to recover the radio as Ebay cooperated fully with the LE agency involved. Buyer got their money back thru Paypal. What was interesting is the buyer (or whoever they took the radio to) bypassed our codeplug password with depot software and the radio had all kinds of systems in it. Needless to say, the buyer didn't answer my calls to ask them how they did what they did. The one who stole the radio got two felony cases for felony theft of lost/mislaid property and interference with governmental administration pending. Pawn shop loaned $40 on it.

Beware eBay APX radios. Always use a credit card funded PayPal if you do to protect yourself. O/P, search Ebay completed auctions...you may be surprised.

Reconrider

I just learned that radios had a database for stolen ones. That's actually really cool.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I just learned that radios had a database for stolen ones. That's actually really cool.

This shows the shortcoming of this database. If people in the business and hobby don't know about it, how effective can the database really be? A cross reference to the LE agency DR/IR number would be helpful in determining who owns it - putting in "HCR" or "Radio Sales" as owner means nothing to most.

Reconrider

This shows the shortcoming of this database. If people in the business and hobby don't know about it, how effective can the database really be
It's not something talked about very often. If it gets talked more often it would be bigger.
I don't normally buy my radios/scanner second hand, but it's nice to know it's possible to look up if I ever did.

Mr_Boh

NCIC does work, especially for locales that can have pawn shop interfaces. Problem is you need a terminal with NCIC access to get to it.

It would be nicer if this database was a little more independent owned/manage than Genesis (which is basically Motorola exclusive). Thinking like something APCO would own/manage since they could be the proxy to get say, a radio that ends up on the east coast in touch with their west coast owner.

ecps92

Many areas also interface the pawn shops with "RISS - Regional Information Sharing Systems"
https://www.riss.net/ where the Pawn Shops submit the info and the RISS runs the NCIC match/Search automatically
NCIC does work, especially for locales that can have pawn shop interfaces. Problem is you need a terminal with NCIC access to get to it.

It would be nicer if this database was a little more independent owned/manage than Genesis (which is basically Motorola exclusive). Thinking like something APCO would own/manage since they could be the proxy to get say, a radio that ends up on the east coast in touch with their west coast owner.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Also notify Motorola so if it is sent in for repair, they should notify the original buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.