Missing traffic on KSCIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

khphighwayman

Premium Subscriber
This might be a question for the scanner forum but Ive asked it in there and I felt maybe I could get some better answers in the local room, since some of us are listening to the same thing. I am using a radio shack PRO-2096 to monitor KSCIS. It's set up in northeast kansas and has good reception of the atchison, doniphan and nemaha towers. I programmed in the control channel only for all three towers. was missing a ton of reply traffic. so I programmed in just the atchison tower control channel. still missing a ton of reply traffic. Ive got the bank closed and am just scanning about 8 or 9 talkgroup ID's. Ive also tried programming in every frequency on the list listed on this website. was still missing alot of traffic. Does anyone know of any trick I need to use to make this thing quit missing all this traffic. Ive tried changing the delay times on the ID's as well as changing the delay on the actual control channel. I figured if I just monitored one tower it would stop missing traffic but it didnt help either. Ive probably only got 10 conventional chanells programmed into a seperate bank and Ive tried shutting that bank off and scanning only the KSCIS control channel. still misses a ton of traffic. Anybody else having this problem and if so any ideas on a fix?

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
When you say reply traffic- can you tell if it is dispatch to cars or cars to dispatch traffic that you are missing?

If it is car to dispatch- have you ruled out multi-casting by the KHP dispatchers? I hear the dispatcher regularly multi-casting on several talk groups at the same time- could it be that they are on a talkgroup with a unit on the Douglas tower etc. but multicasting their traffic from dispatch to car on talkgroups that are being monitored on your towers? In example- they may be talking with a trooper on the Shawnee County TRS but they will also be transmitting their radio traffic on several KSICS talkgroups.

Over the years, KHP dispatchers regularly did this instead of selecting just the tower or talkgroup that the unit calling them was on.

I have been using a 2096 on KSICS for some time and have not noticed any issues with missed traffic.

khphighwayman

Premium Subscriber
No its both. Im aware they simulcast when they get busy. Ill hear a guy go 44 and wont hear dispatch respond, then he'll go ahead with his traffic. Another example is I will hear dispatch call for somebody, not hear him respond and then dispatch will go with their traffic. So its working both ways. Just wondering if anyone else was noticing this with this scanner.

rabidmoose57

I'm just across the river in Missouri, no real problems with missed traffic on my 2096. KSCIS traffic is clear on two towers here, both 207&208 (Atchison & Doniphan). Although I have noticed a big drop in car to car traffic since the switch. I just chalked it up to the mobile data terminals.

n0lqt

One other thing you have to remember with a wide area system like this is that not all towers will re-broadcast all messages from each unit. I am supposing that Troop B is dispatched out of Topeka. A Trooper in Doniphan County goes 10-44 and calls in. Depending on how the techs have the system porgrammed, his signal is picked up by the Doniphan tower and linked (either hard-line or microwave) to the Topeka tower where it is broadcast to the dispatcher, who, I believe, is just using a console tied to a transceiver and antenna aimed at the tower. I don't think anyone is hardwired into the system at this point. His transmission may not get re-broadcast by the Doniphan tower at all. I've noted this a few tomes here in Troop F. A Trooper in Hutch may be heard off the Wichita Tower, but the reply from dispatch is not heard at all unless I'm picking up the Partridge tower. I suppose this will change over time as they get more towers and more experience into what needs to be re-broadcast and to whom.....

khphighwayman

Premium Subscriber
I'm just across the river in Missouri, no real problems with missed traffic on my 2096. KSCIS traffic is clear on two towers here, both 207&208 (Atchison & Doniphan). Although I have noticed a big drop in car to car traffic since the switch. I just chalked it up to the mobile data terminals.

ok moose, can i ask how you have yours programmed? delay on the control channels? the two seperate control channels programmed in right next to each other or different banks? How long of a delay on the ID do you have set in? Maybe I dont have mine set up correctly. thanks.

rabidmoose57

Here's how I do it......

Well, all the delay settings are the default. I have all the control freqs in one bank, from lowest freq to highest with the left over channel positions locked out. What could be making a difference in my case is being 920 ft. above sea level, so I very nearly have line of sight to the towers. The extra height makes things alot easier! Since the system is still fairly new. I run the bank in open mode full time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.