Mission EMS/MAMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Recently, I had a conversation here in Franklin with a crew member of one of Mission Hospital's ground transport units. These are over-sized EMS transport units, the type you often see assigned to transport critical or neonatal patients. He told me that Mission Hospital (Asheville) has several of these units assigned to daytime posts throughout western North Carolina. One of those posts is here in Franklin. Their job is to transport critical patients to Mission (the Level II Trauma Center for western NC) that do not require the urgency of being transported by a MAMA (Mountain Area Medical Airlift) helo.

In the analog VIPER talkgroups, there was a talkgroup titled "MAMA Air Operations". In the new P25 system, I've monitored radio traffic today on what seems to be the "Air Ops" talkgroup - 51583 - dispatching "Mission 5" or "Mission 6". I believe these to be the ground transport units, which leads me to believe this P25 talkgroup may have a wider scope than it did under the analog VIPER system. Has anyone in the greater Asheville area that monitors these MAMA and Mission talkgroups noticed these or have any information about it?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Look under Buncombe County in the VIPER P25 database listing.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Over the past 15 minutes, radio traffic on talkgroup 51583 has been identifying as "MISSION MEDCOM". They are attempting to raise the ground transport units I described above, e.g., MISSION 2, MISSION 15, etc. This all leads me to believe that instead of "MAMAAIROPS" this talkgroup should be titled "MISSION MEDCOM".

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC

AlphaFive

I found that under the old system there were several i.d.'s used for Mission units, it was scattered. Up to this point with the new system, your right about 51583, I have so far found M.A.M.A. dispatch for the chopper on 51584, and nothing else. Of course that doesn't mean it won't change in an hour. I picked up 51535, and 51545, but as of yesterday I couldn't verify a match. Take care

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Good point, Alphafive. Probably best to just see how 51583 is used over a more sustained period of time. Thanks for your input.

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC

ts548

As soon as the helos are finished they are moving to encryption. Some are already encrypted but soon all mission traffic will be encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.