Mississauga/Caledon Fire Pager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
wyldman said:
You can start by filtering out all the pages for capcode 0099050.These are always duplicates.Maybe they use this for confirmation and testing ? just to make sure the page went out correctly ?

You could also filter by station,and\or truck,so it only sends filtered messages for the stations\trucks you are close to,or wish to track.You can chose to both filter or reject any message you want.

I turned on the email notification as well,with all pages,and got like 30 emails in an hour.You'll get hosed with data charges on your cell phone if emailing all that stuff.

On bell all incoming messages are suppost to be free. Its outgoing they soak you on....

pokey

1. In reference to the extra capcode being paged, it is probably the Platoon Chief. I heard a call being dispatched for a commercial property fire call in Mississauga not too long ago and C106 was dispatched but did not attend. Likely what it is.

2. In reference to purchasing a pager for POCSAG..members have discussed possible extra customs charges. How does this work? I thought the EBAY seller shipped it directly out to the home of the purchaser in Toronto from the States?

wyldman

I don't think the extra message is for a chief,as they are also paged separately.i have noticed a bunch of test pages,and they all go to the same 0099050 pager.I think it is a test\verification pager.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Regarding pokey's question number 2, as someone who has shipped a number of electronics across the border, I can tell you that there is a duty fee on the value placed on whatever you are shipping. If you ship something as a newly purchased item, valued at $xxx, you will get levied taxes on that $xxx. We have our lovely Canada Customs & Revenue Agency to thank for that. In any case, buying a pager to use to "listen" to POCSAG pages makes about as much sense as buying a professional radio to listen to (scan) a bunch of voice frequencies. It can be done, but it's hardly practical. Besides the concern about getting it programmed, you also have very limited space to "scan" for multiple channels (or in pager terms, capcodes). The best pager I know of that can "scan" POCSAG handles up to 4 capcodes and they must be in the same "frame".. the equivalent of only being able to scan frequencies from 136 to 174 mhz in a certain brand of scanner. If you really really need to monitor a paging system in a mobile setting, I guess an actual pager will work. Otherwise, be content with programs like PDW. :)

pokey

Jay said:
Regarding pokey's question number 2, as someone who has shipped a number of electronics across the border, I can tell you that there is a duty fee on the value placed on whatever you are shipping. If you ship something as a newly purchased item, valued at $xxx, you will get levied taxes on that $xxx. We have our lovely Canada Customs & Revenue Agency to thank for that. In any case, buying a pager to use to "listen" to POCSAG pages makes about as much sense as buying a professional radio to listen to (scan) a bunch of voice frequencies. It can be done, but it's hardly practical. Besides the concern about getting it programmed, you also have very limited space to "scan" for multiple channels (or in pager terms, capcodes). The best pager I know of that can "scan" POCSAG handles up to 4 capcodes and they must be in the same "frame".. the equivalent of only being able to scan frequencies from 136 to 174 mhz in a certain brand of scanner. If you really really need to monitor a paging system in a mobile setting, I guess an actual pager will work. Otherwise, be content with programs like PDW. :)

Thanks for the reply Jay! Does this mean they will stop this parcel and call me to pick it up and pay the tax?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
In my experiences, if it's sent via Canada Post, the package goes to your post office and you pay when you pick it up there. (Then again, I don't have to-door delivery here.) If it's sent by courier (FedEx, UPS, etc), they will either "hold" the package at depot and phone you to get payment (by credit card, of course) or expect payment at the door when they bring the package to you (again, likely credit or cash).

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Pokey, The pager is $79 + $56 for shipping VIA UPS all in us funds... So thats $136 us funds do your convert and then add approx $45 - $65 for customs fees from UPS thats what you will pay.. As i told you privatelly its over $200 to listen to 4 trucks.. Not worth it in my eyes.. Get a cheap scanner you can tap it and live happy....

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Jay said:
In my experiences, if it's sent via Canada Post, the package goes to your post office and you pay when you pick it up there. (Then again, I don't have to-door delivery here.) If it's sent by courier (FedEx, UPS, etc), they will either "hold" the package at depot and phone you to get payment (by credit card, of course) or expect payment at the door when they bring the package to you (again, likely credit or cash).

The Guy Pokey and I were looking at will only ship via UPS and they are Pricks for customs so expect to pay threw the nose at the door on it... Over $200 for a pager thats limited is not worth it...

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,
Just a question I would like to ask. I can understand having a computer and a scanner with a tap to run trunker so you can see any changes in a system etc and I use it myself but, why run this program for fire pages when you are listening to all the action on a scanner?
Is it to log what happens when you are gone from your scanners? If so why not just use a voice activated tape recorder in line with your scanners?
Not being ass just would like to know?
Take care

wyldman

tonsoffun said:
Hey guys,
Just a question I would like to ask. I can understand having a computer and a scanner with a tap to run trunker so you can see any changes in a system etc and I use it myself but, why run this program for fire pages when you are listening to all the action on a scanner?
Is it to log what happens when you are gone from your scanners? If so why not just use a voice activated tape recorder in line with your scanners?
Not being ass just would like to know?
Take care

A lot of times,the scanner is busy listening to other channels,or I may be away and miss the dispatch.Sometimes it's hard to get all the details,or the address of the call if you miss the original dispatch.

Sometimes too,I cannot write it all down fast enough and forget the address.This way,I get a nice hard copy of everything.

The odd time you will get additional details not broadcast over the scanner.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I agree with what wydman says + who says we use it on just fire pagers? Honestly its something different.. I want it so while at work i can get the emails of the calls since i can't use my scanner at work..... This works on more then just fire pager channels..

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Chrome69 said:
I agree with what wydman says + who says we use it on just fire pagers? Honestly its something different.. I want it so while at work i can get the emails of the calls since i can't use my scanner at work..... This works on more then just fire pager channels..

Having the emails come to your phone with the calls would be really cool. Knowing Mississauga and Brampton fire the phone would always be going off with alarms LOL
Thanks guys

pathalogical

Chrome69 said:
Just curious, do you need to react to the pages received or is it for informational purpose only ? That is, are you in journalism, photography, reporter ? Do you need to get to the scene too ?

If I miss hearing a call on the scanner, oh well...I'll just have to watch and see if part of what I heard made the 6pm news, or breaking news if it's something big, if not, no big deal.

wyldman

pathalogical said:
Just curious, do you need to react to the pages received or is it for informational purpose only ? That is, are you in journalism, photography, reporter ? Do you need to get to the scene too ?

If I miss hearing a call on the scanner, oh well...I'll just have to watch and see if part of what I heard made the 6pm news, or breaking news if it's something big, if not, no big deal.

I am now shooting photos for some of the local papers,so it helps if you get there early. ;)

I also do it for fun,and like being on scene.It also exciting for my kids as well (what kids wouldn't love chasing firetrucks :D).Again,you gotta get there in time or there isn't much left to see.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I don't chase firetrucks..... But i like to know whats going on in my area and also good for traffic reports... :D

wyldman

It's also good for tracking the trucks,and the calls they respond to.You can then see which parts of the city are the busiest,and what type of calls they frequently respond to.

pathalogical

Did you guys hear or get anything on your pagers last night about an aircraft at YYZ ? I heard a dispatch on 414.5875 at 21:07 for a 1 Delta - Aircraft in trouble on the ground. Listening to Peel (poor reception from where I am) ID:36144 was active. Heard mentioning rwy 24 L, cargo door, a 747, which then was moved to gate 501. Also ID:3216 may have been on the same call.

wyldman

pathalogical said:
Did you guys hear or get anything on your pagers last night about an aircraft at YYZ ? I heard a dispatch on 414.5875 at 21:07 for a 1 Delta - Aircraft in trouble on the ground. Listening to Peel (poor reception from where I am) ID:36144 was active. Heard mentioning rwy 24 L, cargo door, a 747, which then was moved to gate 501. Also ID:3216 may have been on the same call.

Yes,It was paged out,and I did get all the pages.Wasn't listening though.

3216 is the Mississauga dispatch\ops channel.It was probably dispatched on that,as well as 414.5875,and then they may have used it a little afterwards.The call was on TAC 3,or 3280.The 36144 is the GTAA talkgroup used for the call,or channel 5.The airport fire uses those talkgroups,and is sometimes patched to the Miss talkgroups as well.The airport fire uses RED call signs,like RED 9,RED command,etc.

I pasted one of the pages below.

1050002 21:06:23 06-09-06 POCSAG-1 ALPHA 512 07-1C/D AIRCRAF
AIRPORT AIRSIDE
Map: Tac:3
P119 P109 A105 S10

pokey

bbbbbbbbbb
wyldman said:
Yes,It was paged out,and I did get all the pages.Wasn't listening though.

3216 is the Mississauga dispatch\ops channel.It was probably dispatched on that,as well as 414.5875,and then they may have used it a little afterwards.The call was on TAC 3,or 3280.The 36144 is the GTAA talkgroup used for the call,or channel 5.The airport fire uses those talkgroups,and is sometimes patched to the Miss talkgroups as well.The airport fire uses RED call signs,like RED 9,RED command,etc.

I pasted one of the pages below.

1050002 21:06:23 06-09-06 POCSAG-1 ALPHA 512 07-1C/D AIRCRAF
AIRPORT AIRSIDE
Map: Tac:3
P119 P109 A105 S10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.