Mississauga/Caledon Fire Pager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Ok this makes alot of sense so it would actually be a waist of money.. It would be better to just do it through a scanner and a tone board i would guess.... Thanks for explaining this to me...

pokey

Exkalibur, can you post an example of what a Mississauga Fire page looks like?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
No! A tone won't work! Again, the only thing you can do to decode there pages is a pager or a pc program. A scanner will NOT cut it!

pokey

Exkalibur,

Is that a "no" in regards to my request to post what page looks like? Do u have a pager rigged up for this? I want to buy one but am skeptical as 100 are for sale with no sales so far. Just wanna know if they are tried and true. Thanks.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The no part was refering to a poster who said they'd just use their scanner and a tone board - that won't work.

I don't have a page format handy here, but it basically lists the trucks that are dispatched, interesection, address, call type and map page.

RainbowSix

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Excalibur in regards to the description of the messages sent to the Fire Pagers.

The easiest way to decode a pager is simple.

1-Do the descriminator mod to you scanner.
2-Build a 2-level data slicer which plugs one end into com port 1 and the other into your scanner descriminator tap.
3-Tune scanner to desired pager frequency
4-Download and run freeware software (PDW)
5-Enjoy

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
exkalibur said:
The no part was refering to a poster who said they'd just use their scanner and a tone board - that won't work.

I don't have a page format handy here, but it basically lists the trucks that are dispatched, interesection, address, call type and map page.

No I meant as you said it has to go out of a tap from the radio to the sound card of a computer (and yes software running on the computer of course) Do you require the data slicer or no? I know the 396 will do a tone out would that work instead of tapping the radio?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The tone out feature has NOTHING to do with what we're trying to accomplish here. That feature has one purpose only and that is to decode 2-tone pagers, such as those used by a fire department. It is of no use for text pagers.

The BEST way is to take a discriminator tap into a 2 (or 4) level slicer, and run any number of pager programs. Personally, I think POCFLEX is the best, but that's DOS based. POC32 and PDW seem to be really good if you'd prefer windows.

POC32 and PDW allow for the audio to be taken from the sound card, so you wouldn't need a discriminiator tap.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Got my first one but had it set to WFM so maybe thats why i got some garbage..

0099050 02:09:41 03-09-06 POCSAG-1 ALPHA 512 24-DIFF BRTH/CH
5 LISA ST `"?
Map:87B Tac:7
P201 <
X1:8 SILVER MAPLE C
X2:192 CLARK BV

0195746 02:09:44 03-09-06 POCSAG-1 ALPHA 512 ???????P$w1]?????[???

2010001 02:09:45 03-09-06 POCSAG-4 ALPHA 512 24-DIFF BRTH/CH
5 LISA ST
Map:87B

0989934 02:09:47 03-09-06 POCSAG-4 NUMERIC 512 60260

0214535 02:09:47 03-09-06 POCSAG-3 ALPHA 512 A@@@@@@@@@@@@?0ctpŸG3?-?%Y??!??A??0etbrd@???%A-A@@@?@@@@@@@@?]GuFl`dplbl?p

Thats what i got

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
You should set your scanner to FM or NFM depending on the system, WFM is only used on FM ot TV audio broadcast.

Are you using a scanner with a discriminator tap? You may have some success using the ext speaker audio of your scanner but for best results you need unfiltered baseband audio from your scanner.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Yep. What NSV said. POC32 may work with the earphone audio, but you will get MUCH better decoding if you use a discriminator tap. They're super easy to do, just google "(scanner model) discriminator tap".

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Yes i will have to grab a base model, all i have here is portables 246,330T and my 396 Funny it worked a bit better in WFM then FM on the 396 but that was at 3am which their wasn't alot of calls/pages.... Will play with it today with my 246...

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
You can try out 149.7700 and 140.1600. They're very busy during the day, it's Bell Canada's VHF commercial stuff.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Ok Guys i tapped my 898 and running it on PDW v2.14 and i have to say one thing...

This is ****ING Cool !!!!!!!! :)

Sorry for the language but i can't get over this software and way it works... Now i want more Freq to listen in to....

I did notice one thing, you have to have a really good signal or you still will get the garbage.. I have a antenna on the back of the 898 and got garbage, but when i threw it on my outdoor antenna... "Mr Perfecto" :D Very happy Camper right now...

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
The nice part about a discriminator tap is your are now ready to run other decoding programs like Mtrunker for Fleetnet and Seatty to decode S.A.M.E. on the Weather Radio transmitters.

I have an old Pro2001 I added a discriminator tap to and use only for the purpose of Trunker/PDW/seaTTY which keeps my other scanners free for regular scanning.

I would recommend everybody pick up an old boat anchor and tap it, if you blow it up you have nothing to lose and it opens up a whole new world of scanning.

Here is a great site dedicated to adding discriminator taps to all sorts of modern and in my case not so modern scanners and receivers if anybody else feels brave enough to tackle their own. The degree of difficulty is not that great, look your radio up on the site and you may be surprised.

Also anybody with a Ham Rig with a 9600 baud packet port may already have what they need with no modification needed except making the proper cable to interface the radio to the soundcard.

Trial and error is your best friend, just don't let the blue Genie out.

blue20genie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.