Missoula PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnuge

Premium Subscriber
I am new to scanning in Missoula. I am wondering if I have the wrong freq of MPD. I am listening on 155.6100. I can hear the dispatcher fine but some (not all) of the mobile traffic comes through like they are being walked on. It sounds like a loud grrrrr roar and static. Is that encrypted traffic?

AlaskaRadar

Missoula police seem to be switching to P25 digital on the radios. It seems some of the p25 is encrypted and at the time of this post, Dispatch was running encrypted digital while some of the units are digital. That being said, I assume that their main channel will soon be all P25 digital and will be useless to listen to with a standard radio or scanner. Tis the way of security i suppose...

AlaskaRadar

And today (daytime) it seems that dispatch is running analog again. I suspect they are testing digital at night when there is not much traffic.. I quess what will happen as time goes on.

mtnuge

Premium Subscriber
Thanks AR. I have an older BC350A that I picked up at the pawn shop for 25 bucks…. works good for county but mixed results for PD….. it they are going to make the move P25 encrypted I see no point in upgrading…..

jjwhite29

Premium Subscriber
Missoula does have a few encrypted channels on their analog system so I do think they will have some on there P25 system also but not all traffic will be encrypted. I would recommend upgrading not everything will be encrypted but some will as should be as much as I hate it you never know who is using scanners. If Missoula is switching it would be good to get some info on the new talk groups etc.

shanny19

I'm nearing the end of two weeks spent in Missoula, and the traffic on 155.610 has been
around 80% analog, 18% P25 w/ NAC 203 in the clear, and just a very few P25 encrypted transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.