Missouri State Highway Patrol (MOSWIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Add the red control channels as well as the blue ones. The blue ones are alternates in case of a failure with the primary. This has happened before where a site switched to the alternate for a short time.

Remember to use 769.19375 for St Clair primary and 769.44375 for the secondary as the database needs to be updated to correct for the new site frequencies. Don't use what Sentinel says for St Clair until the database is updated!
The Washington site info is correct but that site does not carry a lot of voice traffic so you may think it's not working, believe me, the site it working! I think the Washington site may have been setup more for Franklin County fire users working in the Washington city area. I heard them testing at Mercy Hospital not all that long ago.

I'd also program the Weldon Spring VHF site if you get a signal from it on 154.695. The VHF sites appear to carry more traffic than the 700 MHz sites do.

And Yes, adding just the red and blue primary and secondary control channels will get the replies from the cars. The control channels tell your scanner (or the troopers radios) what frequency to use to hear any and all replies. That's the beauty of a P25 trunked system.

As far as the site (towers) names go, the site 'name' is the city or town the tower is located in or near. The next name to the right of that is the County that site (tower) is in. Some sites names are customized by the users who setup the statewide site and the RRDB tries to name the sites the same when known. The county naming is obvious as to what it says.

Hope this helps even a little bit!

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Add the red control channels as well as the blue ones. The blue ones are alternates in case of a failure with the primary. This has happened before where a site switched to the alternate for a short time.

Remember to use 769.19375 for St Clair primary and 769.44375 for the secondary as the database needs to be updated to correct for the new site frequencies. Don't use what Sentinel says for St Clair until the database is updated!
The Washington site info is correct but that site does not carry a lot of voice traffic so you may think it's not working, believe me, the site it working! I think the Washington site may have been setup more for Franklin County fire users working in the Washington city area. I heard them testing at Mercy Hospital not all that long ago.

I'd also program the Weldon Spring VHF site if you get a signal from it on 154.695. The VHF sites appear to carry more traffic than the 700 MHz sites do.

And Yes, adding just the red and blue primary and secondary control channels will get the replies from the cars. The control channels tell your scanner (or the troopers radios) what frequency to use to hear any and all replies. That's the beauty of a P25 trunked system.

As far as the site (towers) names go, the site 'name' is the city or town the tower is located in or near. The next name to the right of that is the County that site (tower) is in. Some sites names are customized by the users who setup the statewide site and the RRDB tries to name the sites the same when known. The county naming is obvious as to what it says.

Hope this helps even a little bit!

Thank you so much for the explanation, and which frequencies to ptogram! That helps a lot! Thanks again!

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Hello Kruser,

I obtained a BCD536HP, and have it programmed. It seems to be receiving MSHP Metro and Rural, as well as analog frequencies. The strange thing I noticed is that in order for the scanner to receive Rural and Metro, you have to enter some MOSWIN tower site frequencies, which you mentioned in your prior posts as the control channel frequencies. But, in addition to entering the control channels that are assigned to the tower sites, I had to also enter the string that's in Radio Reference that references Troop C's Rural and Metro channels, otherwise, it doesn't seem to work just solely on the entry of the control channel frequencies alone.

If I only enter the string from Radio Reference that shows Troop C's Rural and Metro channels, without entering the control channel frequencies, it doesn't receive any signals from MSHP. It seems strange to me that I have to enter both the control channel frequencies, and the Rural and Metro string from Radio Reference in order to get it to receive.

I also entered a number of different Site frequencies, Neosho, Washington, St. Clair, etc...the ones that I had identified as those that might actually be located close to me, or have the same frequency mix as the closer sites, just to be on the safe side that I would receive the signals off of a combination of control channels.

I'll probably remove some of the control channel frequencies when I am able to determine the ones that are probably sufficient to receive both Rural and Metro channels, just to clean things up a bit. But, it's hard to know which control channel frequencies are good for my area, probably St. Clair, Washington, etc...are the right ones, as you mentioned in your prior posts, but I have a few control channel frequencies programmed in there from other sites that I know also pertain to my area, programmed in there just to make sure I don't miss anything.

Can you think of any reason why I have to enter the control channel frequencies, and the string that shows Rural and Metro too in order for it to work? Seems like just entering Rural and Metro should have done the trick without entering the control channels too.

Did you read my last post I posted yesterday evening?
It is most certainly the St Clair tower you are hearing. My post explains what is going on here.

No idea why you are not receiving Washington though. The site is definitely on the air and using the primary control channel as listed in the database. I was out there this morning and checked the site while there.
Did you perform a database update in Sentinel?? There were some changes made to the Washington site a month or two back that would not be reflected in Sentinel if you have not updated it in a while.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The Rural and Metro "strings" as you call them are the Talkgroups.
A trunked system needs the sites frequencies in the least and then the Talkgroups if you want the talkgroup name to display when a signal is received.

If you don't add the Talkgroups, you can still hear everything as long as the 536 is showing ID Search. That will get everything but the talkgroup name will only display as the talkgroup number.
If your 536 shows ID Scan, then it will only stop on talkgroups that you have programmed into a department and are not Avoided and also have whatever Service Type you gave them enabled. If they are Avoided or their respective Service Type is set to Off, then you will not hear them.

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Also, as further explanation, I'm using the Sentinel Software, which is provided by Uniden with the BCD536HP scanner, as well as the SDS 100, and the SDS200 scanners. Sentinel Software uses the Radio Reference site for all of its frequency data. The channel description progrmmed to my MSHP favorites list is as follows:

Missouri Statewide Wireless Interoperable Network (MOSWIN),
and when the above is expanded, the following is displayed:
Aviation
Car to Car 1
Car to Car 2
Car to Car 3
Car to Car 4
Car to Car 5
Car to Car 6
Car to Car 7
Car to Car? [Car 1]*[Speed Traps]
Dispatch 1-[Metro]*
Dispatch 2-[Rural]*
Dispatch 3
Dispatch 4
Dispatch 5
Dispatch 6

The above does not expand any further...

Then, for example, I have the following programmed under the same MSHP favorites list :

Missouri Highway Patrol Troop C (Weldon Spring)
St. Clair 700

which expands to:

I also have the same kind of scenario as above programmed for Neosho, Bagnel 700, St. Charles Simulcast, Washington 700, and Weldon Spring, all of which have their own combinations of P25 digital frequencies listed in the same manner, prefixed with 769, 760, 773, 774, 152 (Weldon Spring), 154 (Weldon Spring). Everything is turned "ON," so I assume I'm missing some of the digital P25 frequncies.

I only have Neosho and Bagnel 700 programmed in there because I noticed they worked in the past, and I figured I wouldn't lose reception if some of the frequencies programmed under St. Charles Simulcast, Washington 700, and Weldon Spring weren't sufficiently complete to receive all the MSHP traffic in all 11 Counties that MSHP covers.

I believe I am still missing some of the P25 frequencies because I haven't heard anything is some of the Counties that should be covered by Troop C, Jefferson, Lincoln, Perry, Pike, St. Francois, St. Louis City, Ste. Genevieve, Warren, and Washington. So, I suspect I need to add some P25 digital frequencies that are assigned to various towers that cover the areas I'm missing.

But, it is difficult to determine which of the tower sites are where because Radio Reference has them mistakenly labeled, and/or because MOSWIN hasn't updated their listing of the tower sites. I suppose I could add-in all the frequencies I can find that are in the P25 category under the heading above, but the less it has to scan through, the better off the listening experience will be.

Strangely enough, Missouri Statewide Wireless Interoperable Network (MOSWIN) and Missouri Highway Patrol Troop C (Weldon Spring) entries must both be programmed under the MSHP favorites list in order to receive any transmissions. If only one or the other is programmed, then I hear nothing.

Do you happen to have a resource, or know of a link, that would reveal the digital P25 frequencies for all (11) Counties referred to above? If so, I could open the various tower sites, and focus on adding-in the P25 frequencies pertaining to the eleven Counties.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Many of the counties you listed do not use Moswin for primary comms. They usually have Travel talkgroups but those are rarely used.
Jefferson county is on its own Slater site.
Many of the other counties maintain and use their own radio systems as well.
Program the Imperial Moswin site if it's within range of you. That will get Troop C cars in that area.

As far as programming other distant sites, you can but you should also Avoid them or turn off their Quick Keys if programmed.
You don't want the scanner looking for signals on sites it cannot receive!

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Hey, thanks for all the help! If you get in the Washington or Union area sometime, let me know, and we can have a coffee or something...maybe after this pandemic is over, ughhhh!!!

Many of the counties you listed do not use Moswin for primary comms. They usually have Travel talkgroups but those are rarely used.
Jefferson county is on its own Slater site.
Many of the other counties maintain and use their own radio systems as well.
Program the Imperial Moswin site if it's within range of you. That will get Troop C cars in that area.

As far as programming other distant sites, you can but you should also Avoid them or turn off their Quick Keys if programmed.
You don't want the scanner looking for signals on sites it cannot receive!

Status
Not open for further replies.