MIT Operations gone MotoTRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanNora

For those interested,
MIT Operations (fire alarm and other facilities troubleshooting) have gone MotoTRBO at 461.6875 with a CC of 1. So far all conversation has been on TG 15 and their channel 2 is still active as an analog.

OceanNora

They have, and I'm hearing Operations Channel 1 come in on analog again so they may just be testing. Harvard University PD used to be simulcasted in the clear for a few months this winter on the Commonwealth system, but unfortunately I haven't heard it in a while.

Scanner-geek

I was hoping someone else had noted the Harvard University Police changes. I actually really like listening to them and was disappointed went the unencrypted TG went quiet again. I know they are still using their encrypted P25 conventional frequency, but does anyone know what the plans are for TG 1195 on the Cambridge P25 TRS? Was this just testing? Perhaps for interoperability? Or did they scrap entirely any plans to migrate to the trunked system? Any plans to activate it again?

I know most readers here are not very interested in monitoring HUPD, but it was one of my main agencies to monitor based on where I live. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I am still baffled as to why they feel the need to use full time encryption for their general dispatch channel, when they can have superior interoperability with Cambridge on the TRS, especially these days when transparency is becoming ever more demanded. Just makes no sense to me. I know I'm beating the dead encryption horse, but for a few months there it seemed they were going in the clear again. Guess not. What a tease.

I'm gonna guess that they keep their conventional as primary but can access the TRS with their radios.

I apologize that this is getting off topic but HUPD encryption is a sore point for me ;)

Any insight from folks who have monitored HUPD would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scannergeek

OceanNora

I'm not sure as to the reasoning behind it, but without running foul on the forum rules on not bashing encryption it is important to note that all of the encrypted dispatch channels in the Boston area are campuses rather than municipalities. Northeastern, Harvard, and Boston College are all encrypted whereas the only encrypted municipal/state police channels are tac channels. They also have a much, much higher proportion of digital frequencies in the campus field when compared with municipal police in the area. In addition to the aforementioned campuses, Bentley, Suffolk, Tufts, and BU are P25 while Simmons is NXDN and Berklee College of Music is DMR. In comparison, of the roughly 50 or so municipal/state police agencies in the Boston area that I monitor regularly, the only digital users that come to mind are Massport (on the Massport P25 system), Waltham, Burlington, Cambridge (on their P25 system), and Reading.

Septa3371CSX1

The Universities encrypt as a way to sensor what goes on and control what the student run newspapers and other media can report. It all has to do with maintaining the reputation of the institution more than anything else. That was the case when Rutgers in Jersey went encrypted.

OceanNora

MIT facilities also seems to be operating on 464.5875 cc1. Analog channels 1 and 2 still appear to be active.

garys

Premium Subscriber
This is an interesting observation. Several of the colleges in Boston have encrypted their police communications. Several have contracted with private ambulances for emergency responses. In at least one case, the private service is dispatched by cell phone and doesn't have access to the police radio channel.

In addition to what you say, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that they are trying to bypass the 9-1-1 system to keep what is happening on their campuses not only from the media, but from law enforcement.

The Universities encrypt as a way to sensor what goes on and control what the student run newspapers and other media can report. It all has to do with maintaining the reputation of the institution more than anything else. That was the case when Rutgers in Jersey went encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.