Mitchell Communitions - Mogadore (Portage) Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
In the RRDB, many moons ago, two LTR trunked systems were added to the database. Both trunked systems referenced the same Mitchell Communications location in Mogadore but listed frequencies from two separate licenses.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2289
- this site has no talkgroups listed
- this site hasn't been updated since 2007 (when 7 talkgroups were removed)
- there was never a single confirmed LCN listed in the DB

Fast forward to today. Two frequencies listed on this LTR system are now Hytera XPT trunked frequencies. 452.0125 and 462.5125, both with DCC:1. As such, I have removed those two frequencies from this LTR system's site. I would be willing to bet this trunked system doesn't even exist anymore. I did not deprecate it in the database though..

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2296
- this site lists two talkgroups
- this site hasn't been updated since 2004
- there was only ONE confirmed LCN listed (452.45 LCN 1)

Fast forward to today. 452.45 is now an XPT trunked signal, DCC:1. As such, I removed 452.45 from this system in the DB. Since the talkgroups were added 10+ years ago, I would be willing to bet this trunked system doesn't even exist anymore. I did not deprecate it in the database though.

For those who care, Mitchell has two trunked licenses for the Mogadore location, and I'd be willing to bet that any of the active frequencies are Hytera XPT and that you won't find a hint of LTR on them anymore. I could be wrong. If anybody would like to check, the licenses are listed below. You can program 452.0125, 452.45 and 462.5125 in your scanner as DMR and you'd be able to hear traffic. I"m unsure if each of these is a standalone XPT repeater, or if they actually do have other frequencies tied to them that are additional channels / rest channels. I can definitely say that 452.0125, 452.45 and 462.5125 constantly beacon at predetermined intervals, and that there are at least two talkgroups that have been seen [by me] on the frequencies.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WPMV600
- 452.0125 XPT DCC:1
- 462.5125 XPT DCC:1

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WPMB557
- 452.45 XPT DCC:1

Good luck. Have fun. These aren't listed in the DB even though they are Mitchell repeaters, because at this time it is unknown whether they are three distinct systems or whether they are all part of a single XPT system.

mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Throughout the day there is traffic on these Mitchell freqs, and maybe others. The three frequencies below are Hytera XPT (DMR) and can be programmed in your scanner just like any other DMR.

WPMV600

WPMB557

That site is high profile site, obvious to me based upon the fact that I can copy those DMR repeaters down here in Carroll Co any time of the day or night.

If any of you up in Portage (or surrounding) Cos could program the three DMR frequencies in and see if you can identify users, that sure would be great.

Thanks

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Throughout the day there is traffic on these Mitchell freqs, and maybe others. The three frequencies below are Hytera XPT (DMR) and can be programmed in your scanner just like any other DMR.

WPMV600

WPMB557

That site is high profile site, obvious to me based upon the fact that I can copy those DMR repeaters down here in Carroll Co any time of the day or night.

If any of you up in Portage (or surrounding) Cos could program the three DMR frequencies in and see if you can identify users, that sure would be great.

Thanks

Mike

A user on these forums private messaged me some information about who is using this Hytera XPT setup of Mitchell's. I won't mention his name since he did not post publicly, but he is certainly free to comment here if it wishes.

He has stated that the users he is hearing on these three Hytera XPT DMR frequencies is PARTA (Portage Area Rapid Transit Authority).

So far I've seen talkgroups of 112, 115, and 118.

Because this is Hytera XPT and not Capacity Plus, I don't know everything about it. The user says that if they put all three frequencies in their scanner as conventional DMR, they copy 100% of the traffic.

This would suggest to me that either these frequencies should be programmed as a Capacity Plus (or multichannel DMR trunked) system, or that perhaps they are three single-channel sites linked together.

In DSDPlus they all show as XPT frequencies with DCC of 1. DSDPlus doesn't reveal any LCN / LSN information. It doesn't indicate anything about a rest channel. So, if this is like a Capacity+ system, then DSDPlus isn't showing the rest channel or any/all active LCNs on the site.

I had recommended that Whistler people can probably program these three frequencies in as a single site with three frequencies, using DCC 1. People with a Uniden DMR-capable scanner would have to know the LCNs to do that. And I don't know what the LCNs are.

Like I said, this could be three single repeaters connected at another level, or this could be _like_ a Capacity Plus system and we just can't ascertain LCNs because DSDPlus is not displaying that info.

I'm going to collect some raw audio and send it to the DSDPlus author and ask him what he thinks.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Just an update for the three XPT repeaters I'm aware of.

452.0125 is pretty strong here in Carroll Co (about 22 db)
452.45 is much weaker
462.5125 is about the same as 452.45

So, even though they are licensed for one location, they theoretically could be at different tower sites. All activity is not carried on a single frequency. Even though DDSPlus makes no indication that there is a "rest channel" or other frequency/LCN in use, it is clear that somehow these frequencies are linked and that not all traffic occurs on one freq. I'll often hear just a mobile on 452.0125, but i won't hear the base.

And based upon what somebody else has reported, "if I program all three frequencies in as conventional DMR, I pick up 100% of the conversations". That suggests that these XPT sites are either single frequency sites linked together via some proprietary XPT method (sorta like linked Cap+ sites are), or at some different level with some sort of funky hardware.

And maybe, just maybe, the reason one frequency is much stronger for me could be that the frequencies are active at different sites or are somewhat directional [based upon antenna configuration] to provide coverage to different areas from the same tower site.

If anybody is interested in listening to this and determining the users on this system, you'll currently want to program these in as DMR one-frequency or standalone DMR trunked or [I suppose] conventional DMR. There are talkgroups. I've noted talkgroups 112, 115, and 118 for voice. And I also note that data activity (probably either GPS or text messaging) occur on TG 1.

Mike

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

WPMV600

WPMB557

Back when I grew up in Suffield, OH, that site on Etter Rd. was a VHF-Hi (159 MHz) site for Lyon's trucking. Back then, Etter Rd. was not even paved. Trucking companies used to have a set of frequencies for trucking companies in that VHF Hi range. Lyons put a monster signal at my home about 2 miles away. Of course I was close, but that transmitter location is very high which is certainly why a trucking company decided to put its system at that remote site.

hamtrektng

Just an update for the three XPT repeaters I'm aware of.

452.0125 is pretty strong here in Carroll Co (about 22 db)
452.45 is much weaker
462.5125 is about the same as 452.45

So, even though they are licensed for one location, they theoretically could be at different tower sites. All activity is not carried on a single frequency. Even though DDSPlus makes no indication that there is a "rest channel" or other frequency/LCN in use, it is clear that somehow these frequencies are linked and that not all traffic occurs on one freq. I'll often hear just a mobile on 452.0125, but i won't hear the base.

And based upon what somebody else has reported, "if I program all three frequencies in as conventional DMR, I pick up 100% of the conversations". That suggests that these XPT sites are either single frequency sites linked together via some proprietary XPT method (sorta like linked Cap+ sites are), or at some different level with some sort of funky hardware.

And maybe, just maybe, the reason one frequency is much stronger for me could be that the frequencies are active at different sites or are somewhat directional [based upon antenna configuration] to provide coverage to different areas from the same tower site.

If anybody is interested in listening to this and determining the users on this system, you'll currently want to program these in as DMR one-frequency or standalone DMR trunked or [I suppose] conventional DMR. There are talkgroups. I've noted talkgroups 112, 115, and 118 for voice. And I also note that data activity (probably either GPS or text messaging) occur on TG 1.

Mike

Mike, I'd be interested to know how the talkgroups are interpreted from conventional.

I have been monitoring 2 XPT systems in my area and whilst using a known program like DMR Decode (Ian Wraiths) it comes up with a seven digit decimal talkgroup number.

I suspect that the XPT (proprietary) systems are of a Tier III origin which is much like Capacity Max only with no control channel.

Also to that end so to speak..DSD Plus does not display any data stream with Site information.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Mike, I'd be interested to know how the talkgroups are interpreted from conventional.

I have been monitoring 2 XPT systems in my area and whilst using a known program like DMR Decode (Ian Wraiths) it comes up with a seven digit decimal talkgroup number.

I suspect that the XPT (proprietary) systems are of a Tier III origin which is much like Capacity Max only with no control channel.

Also to that end so to speak..DSD Plus does not display any data stream with Site information.

Ham,

I cant be of much help. The XPT system referenced above is one that i really can only copy in the summer, and only copy well at night when there is some tropo enhancement. As a general rule I cannot reliably copy it. And these three sites are the only XPT sources I've ever monitored from my location.

DSDPlus does show actual regular talkgroups though (I think 10001 or 10001 - I forget).

If the raw audio is of use to you, you can grab some raw audio from each of the three sites above at the link below. Then just pipe it into DSDPlus (or something else) to listen.

https://airwaves.ovscan.com/07072017/

dsdplus ? filename.wav

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Another user has brought to our attention another PARTA DMR frequency from the Mitchell licenses. This used a scanner to find it, and the scanner simply says it is a DMR freq (and that's accurate). But it's also likely to be specifically a Hytera XPT repeater.

WPMV600

WPMB557
- 462.1875 DMR DCC:1

If you are in the portage area, please consider programming in the DMR/XPT frequencies above, either as individual DMR trunked systems or OFT DMR trunked and see/report what talkgroups are in use and what activity you are hearing on those talkgroups.

Despite the licenses being very location-specific, I'd venture a guess that these active repeaters are spread throughout Portage to service various areas. Are they networked conventional DMR? Totally standalone, semi-linked in some other fashion? Are some frequencies part of a single site trunked ssystem? Good questions for which nobody really has the answer at this point.

They are all very active though with PARTA traffic.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.