Mitsubishi Wide Screen Projection TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I inherited a 65 inch widescreen TV like this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mits...tbnw=160&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:0]

I have this purple-ish square film that will not go away. Strange enough, the right and left sides of the screen about 3 inches from the edge is clear with no film. I have reset all options to factory specs with no luck. The picture itself is very nice and very clear outside of this film like issue in the center portion of the screen. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Manny

Last edited:

OCO

Just guessing - this is a 3 CRT tube projection setup. You've probably got burn-in on the tubes from long term display of a standard def (4:3) source (Satellite, OTA, VCR) leaving the bars on the side, and a weak green tube, leaving the purplish cast to the picture. Google "screen burn on a projection TV"..

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hello Guys! Thanks for the replies! The TV is a Mitsubishi WS-65315 3 CRT tube projection TV. When you say "leaving the bars on the side" what do you mean exactly? On either side, I see the display clear as day. Is that what you mean ? Second, is the tube something I can fix myself? Just curious!

Manny

tonyclark

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

OCO

I get the impression from looking around the 'net that these older projection TVs take on the same qualities as an aging boat.....(large hole to dump money into). There is a reason you can find lots of them for free..

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I tend to agree with you. However, in my case, I got it in mint physical condition, pretty good picture quality, present problem excluded, and delivered and set up for free! I have spent not one single penny nor have I lifted one finger. The audio is excellent as well. So, if I invest a few bucks to fix it, Im still ahead of the game. I just want to make sure I am proceding in the right direction, hence my post on here.....

Manny

OCO

Manny:
Set a dollar value you won't go above.. Maybe the DVD is a starting point (and the service manual). I've never worked on one, but do know that replacing the tube(s) and getting a good picture setup again will require drive and convergence (did that eons ago on the old Heathkits). I know you're pretty handy from other's posts, so maybe its worth giving it a whirl.....

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
You make a very valid point. I have decided that I will not pay more than say $300- $400 total! I am pretty handy but I have to admit that this is a realm I am not familiar with. The DVD thing is definitely a first step. As far as convergence, this baby has a nice built in way to do that through the menu. The manual as well as the service manual tell you how to do it. Everything aligned well. If nothing else, there is a feature on the menu that will allow you to reset everything to factory specs. I consulted with a local repair dealer. If I believe that it IS the green tube, which stands to reason, then it will only cost me about $250 to replace. Again, I am going with the DVD option first. I really like the TV and like I said before, it does put out a very nice picture even with this purple haze issue. But as you suggested, I have placed a limit to how much I can / will spend!

Manny

Last edited:

OCO

Manny:
The service manual will tell you how to adjust drive levels - that might take care of the purple haze.. If the bars on the sides are phosphor burn-in and the DVD doesn't clear that up, it wouldn't be just one tube to replace, it'd be all three.

As a side note, I've got a four year old 37" LG LCD which mostly gets used with SD Dish (I know, I know) and it's got 4" bars on the sides which show up as a slightly different brightness level when watching HD OTA sources. Yup, even LCDs suffer from a form of "burn in" ..

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Update!

Manny:
The service manual will tell you how to adjust drive levels - that might take care of the purple haze.. If the bars on the sides are phosphor burn-in and the DVD doesn't clear that up, it wouldn't be just one tube to replace, it'd be all three.

As a side note, I've got a four year old 37" LG LCD which mostly gets used with SD Dish (I know, I know) and it's got 4" bars on the sides which show up as a slightly different brightness level when watching HD OTA sources. Yup, even LCDs suffer from a form of "burn in" ..

I just measured my bars with a ruler. 4 inches on the right side bar and 4.25 inches on the left side bar.I found a repair receipt in the box of paperwork today. I called the repair place. They told me the previous owner would not pay the cost to repair one tube that was bad! I will assume it was the green one. These side bars we are talking about, they allow me to see the picture really nice. I honestly believe replacing that one tube will do the trick! Im still trying the dvd first.

Manny

OCO

Did you ask them if all the tubes would have the sidebars burned in or if it would just be the green? Did they give you an estimate - IIRC the tubes were at least $300.00 apiece at one point..

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well....

After my last post yesterday, I received a call from the shop I am working with, not the shop the previous owner tried to use. The tech I talked to wanted me to send him a video clip via my iPhone of the screen. There is a difference of opinion in their tech shop regarding this issue. Their most senior experienced tech thinks that if it was the green tube being weak, then the purple haze would be on the ENTIRE screen not just the central part with clarity on the sides. So who knows what the heck is going to happen now. They are going to study it and get back to me with an answer. I am itching to get this DVD to try out first. Who knows at this point! Oh and yes, the tubes are @ $250 each. If they are all bad and in need of replacement, you want to take a guess where the TV is going? LOL.....But like I said before, the picture quality is pretty darn good, with the exception of this haze. I truly feel it is burn in from someone using it in 4:3 standard def.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.