Mix two scanner audio into one signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9GTJ

Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
613
Location
Kokomo, IN
Anyone know of a small audio mixer to combine two scanners into one signal? I am looking for something better than a y cable and it needs to be portable since it is for two scanners on my belt. (This is for headphone level audio.)
 
Last edited:

gmclam

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
5,534
Location
Fair Oaks, CA
There's a lot of ways to do this, depending on your exact application. I've got a couple of mono cables for each scanner that connect to a stereo Y cable. Then I use a headset with independent volume controls for each ear. Each scanner has one ear. Yes, this is not "mixing", but it depends on your application. What will you do with the mixed signal?
 

K9GTJ

Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
613
Location
Kokomo, IN
gmclam said:
There's a lot of ways to do this, depending on your exact application. I've got a couple of mono cables for each scanner that connect to a stereo Y cable. Then I use a headset with independent volume controls for each ear. Each scanner has one ear. Yes, this is not "mixing", but it depends on your application. What will you do with the mixed signal?
Just listen with headphones...
 

slicerwizard

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2002
Messages
6,330
Location
Toronto, Ontario
It would really help if you told us what you want.

Do you want to mix the audio from two sources, or do you want to route the audio from each scanner to a separate ear?
 

K9GTJ

Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
613
Location
Kokomo, IN
slicerwizard said:
It would really help if you told us what you want.

Do you want to mix the audio from two sources, or do you want to route the audio from each scanner to a separate ear?
I would rather mix the two. I am not much of a fan of seperate audio in each ear.
 

Mac128k

Member
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
6
Location
Bay Area, Ca.
I would think a Y-cable is where it's at. Each radio already has its own volume so no mixer needed for that. Doubt you need EQ. Trying to find a belt sized mixer that would run on batteries might be tough.

Oh and go Colts! :)
 

ind224

Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
433
Location
Indianapolis
Booyah on the Y cables!!

My Y feeds L and R on my stereo rec and the comp uses another input so everything comes out of real speakers and can be balanced as well as volumed.

At the airshows or racing pro 96 one side and pro 43 the other.

If you must go both into both ears perhaps Ramsey or other kit folks have what you need.

12v but low current on this one and it only weighs .5 a pound http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/item.asp?name=102MX
 
Last edited:

slicerwizard

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2002
Messages
6,330
Location
Toronto, Ontario
kokomo1 said:
I would rather mix the two. I am not much of a fan of seperate audio in each ear.
Then all you need is a passive mixer Y cable; it's two male plugs (mono or stereo depends on your scanners), one female stereo jack (for the headphones) and two 22 ohm resistors (for isolation) - you can make it for about five bucks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top