Mix two scanner audio into one signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9GTJ

Anyone know of a small audio mixer to combine two scanners into one signal? I am looking for something better than a y cable and it needs to be portable since it is for two scanners on my belt. (This is for headphone level audio.)

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
There's a lot of ways to do this, depending on your exact application. I've got a couple of mono cables for each scanner that connect to a stereo Y cable. Then I use a headset with independent volume controls for each ear. Each scanner has one ear. Yes, this is not "mixing", but it depends on your application. What will you do with the mixed signal?

K9GTJ

gmclam said:
There's a lot of ways to do this, depending on your exact application. I've got a couple of mono cables for each scanner that connect to a stereo Y cable. Then I use a headset with independent volume controls for each ear. Each scanner has one ear. Yes, this is not "mixing", but it depends on your application. What will you do with the mixed signal?

Just listen with headphones...

slicerwizard

It would really help if you told us what you want.

Do you want to mix the audio from two sources, or do you want to route the audio from each scanner to a separate ear?

K9GTJ

slicerwizard said:
It would really help if you told us what you want.

Do you want to mix the audio from two sources, or do you want to route the audio from each scanner to a separate ear?

I would rather mix the two. I am not much of a fan of seperate audio in each ear.

Mac128k

I would think a Y-cable is where it's at. Each radio already has its own volume so no mixer needed for that. Doubt you need EQ. Trying to find a belt sized mixer that would run on batteries might be tough.

Oh and go Colts! :)

ind224

Booyah on the Y cables!!

My Y feeds L and R on my stereo rec and the comp uses another input so everything comes out of real speakers and can be balanced as well as volumed.

At the airshows or racing pro 96 one side and pro 43 the other.

If you must go both into both ears perhaps Ramsey or other kit folks have what you need.

12v but low current on this one and it only weighs .5 a pound http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/item.asp?name=102MX

Last edited:

slicerwizard

kokomo1 said:
I would rather mix the two. I am not much of a fan of seperate audio in each ear.
Then all you need is a passive mixer Y cable; it's two male plugs (mono or stereo depends on your scanners), one female stereo jack (for the headphones) and two 22 ohm resistors (for isolation) - you can make it for about five bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.