• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mixed Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
What does it mean when someone says a radio should be programmed in mixed mode? I have an Astro Saber I'm going to send out for programming, and I found P25 repeaters in the Florida area and Denver area I am going to have put into the Saber...the repeaters have both analog and digital, so I've been told my radio should be in mixed mode. Help out a Motorola newbie, please! Thanks.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
There are two ways that "mixed mode" is used. The first way, "mixed mode" is used to describe the entire radio or radio system, where the radio, repeater, basestation etc. can be programed to operate in analog and digital mode.

The second way referes to programming of an indivudal channel in an radio. Most P25 radios can be programmed for Analog only, Digital only or both (mixed mode). When programming for mixed mode, it can be a little tricky. I haven't personally programmed an Astro Saber, but what you need to look for is how to program it so your initial transmission is in the mode you want.

Quick example, Some PDs will run entirely digital, but leave the programming mixed mode in the system and subscribers, when another user comes onto the system in analog, it will drop all the users to analog for interoperability.

Mixed mode progamming has logic built into it at the subsciber level so that if the radio recieves a digital transmission, it will respond in digital. If it recieves an analog, it will respond in analog.

Mixed mode can be quite tricky, have fun!

Josh

Long story short, for programming, you're going to need to program two channels. One (or both) with mixed mode RX (because Mixed mode is for RX only on anything but repeater programming).

One channel will TX in digital, the other in analog. In mixed mode you can hear both analog and digital on the same channel, but in order to TX, you'll need to select which transmission mode you want to communicate in.

PeterGV

K1PGV
studgeman is exactly correct. Let me see if I can provide some more Astro Saber specific information to add to what he said, so you know what to tell the programming folks.

When you have a channel that has both analog and digital info on it, the important info to provide the folks programming your radio (aside from the frequencies) is:

a) Any PL/DPL used for analog transmit and receive -- or if you want CSQ.

b) The NAC (network access code) for transmit and receive for digital transmissions -- If you're not familiar, the NAC is roughly the digital equivalent of the analog PL tone.

c) Whether you want the radio to transmit in analog or digital when you PTT

d) Whether you want the radio to restrict digital reception to only those messages with the NAC you indicate, or whether you want the radio to receive any digital transmissions regardless of NAC (the latter being "digital CSQ")

There are tons of other more "exotic" options, of course... like direct support, digital talkgroups, and the like. But those are the basics.

Hope that helps,

de Peter K1PGV

VPD463

studgeman

studgeman said:
Quick example, Some PDs will run entirely digital, but leave the programming mixed mode in the system and subscribers, when another user comes onto the system in analog, it will drop all the users to analog for interoperability.

I think studgeman explained it well. The above section is important where I work. My agency uses an analog system and we frequently colloborate with another using a digital system. Fortunately, the other agency uses mixed mode so we can still communicate with their personnel. You'll need to decide whether interoperability may be important for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.