Mixers and Scanner Shacks

tip

Premium Subscriber
I'm currently using the Zetron M27 Receiver Monitor, inputting audio from up to 5 scanners, and an SDR (via computer output). The Zetron takes up 3U of space in my kit.

Can the same be accomplished using the 1U Behringer RX1602 V2 Line Mixer, albeit minus the speaker? If so what is the recommendation of audio speaker to use.

I could use the extra 2U of space this setup would provide. TIA for info and suggestions.

20230217_165538.jpg

N9JIG

Sheriff
With this mixer you get either 8 individual channels or 8 sets of two channels, having to balance between channels in each pair or just use each channel as a single mono input.

With your set up it should be just fine as you have 5 scanners, even restricted to 8 channels you have room for expansion.

I use a set of amplified computer speakers from Logitech with my mixer, the volume control and headphone jack on the speaker makes it really convenient to connect a set of cans to and control the volume easier than using the mixer. I bought an adapter cable that plugs into the right and left TLS output jacks on the mixer and provides a stereo 1/8 jack to match the speaker.

Reactions: tip

ff026

Feed Provider
How much do you want for the model 27 if your gonna not use it?

majoco

Stirrer
I'm very pleased with my 1602. I made a simple plywood box to hold the three rackmount items I have - the 1602, a 5-way multicoupler for HF and a Debeg 7313 HF receiver. All 8 stereo inputs are wired but each left/right are joined - this means I can feed a pair of speakers individually and place any receiver on the 'sound stage'

Attachments

• All in one box sml.jpg
    All in one box sml.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 106

prcguy

I'm not familiar with the Zetron but it appears to take in speaker level audio. The Behringer takes in line level and at the very least you would want to attenuate speaker level down to line level. I would also include an isolation transformer at each input to remove ground loops and also some radios get very angry if you ground the minus side of the speaker output.

majoco

Stirrer
The problem with taking the speaker output is you add the noise and hum from the amplifier into your signal. Anything that hasn't got a line level output I connect a lead from the top of the volume control to a phono socket on the rear panel via a 10uF 16volt capacitor. Fortunately I know which end of the soldering iron gets hot! The Behringer has balanced inputs so no need for a transformer.

Reactions: tip

tip

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with the Zetron but it appears to take in speaker level audio. The Behringer takes in line level and at the very least you would want to attenuate speaker level down to line level. I would also include an isolation transformer at each input to remove ground loops and also some radios get very angry if you ground the minus side of the speaker output.
Would running from headphone jacks solve the issue?