MLA 30 + antenna question

Spflowers92470

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I know these things are cheap junk, but it is all that I can afford at the moment. The one I got from Walmart has to be the cheapest one they make, lol. But anyway, I was thinking of making a better loop for it, because the one that came with it is absolute trash. The main thing I got it for is to listen to AM radio with my RTL SDR V 4, and it made a HUGE diference. So I was wondering if a better loop would help some. I was thinking of getting some copper tubing, and making a loop for it, because the thin wire that it came with, I cant get to stay in a loop shape. My question is, how big of a loop should I make listening to the medium wave band. I am starting to mess around with listening to shortwave, but my main concern is the Medium wave band. Thanks in advance for any advice given. P.S. if anyone has any sugestions for a better antenna, I can get once my financial situation improves, I would go as high as a couple hundred bucks, if it would make a big change in reception. I am in an urban enviroment, if that makes a difference.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
For an untuned VLF/HF loop you won’t improve performance by going to a larger diameter wire but you can make it more mechanically stable. Making the loop larger can extend the lower frequency range depending on the internal preamp and matching but you want to be careful not to go too big like 6ft dia and overload the preamp.

I have several loops here including an MLA30 and it seems to work ok for the price. The stock wire is very stiff but I have a PVC frame it sits on that holds it together in the wind.

Spflowers92470

Premium Subscriber
For an untuned VLF/HF loop you won’t improve performance by going to a larger diameter wire but you can make it more mechanically stable. Making the loop larger can extend the lower frequency range depending on the internal preamp and matching but you want to be careful not to go too big like 6ft dia and overload the preamp.

I have several loops here including an MLA30 and it seems to work ok for the price. The stock wire is very stiff but I have a PVC frame it sits on that holds it together in the wind.
Thanks for the info, the wire mine came with is anything dut stiff,

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's actually a FB group devoted to folks who are experimenting and making mods to this Chinese loop here...

Mike

cbaravelli

Have played with Loops for decades. Most times, you get what you pay for. There are web sites to calculate wire type, gauge and lengths for specific bands. GooZeebo has three available for MW, SW and FM (non-tunable) on Amazon and eBay for cheep. Most interestings are tunable FFLs and PKs with pre-amplification. Check out Indoor shortwave antenna options to pair with a new SDR. For portable and remote situations, I went with two Tecsun AN-200s. But, I am weird.