MMDVM for bi-directional repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about making a cross band type repeater but for DMR, does anyone know if a MMDVM or other similar digital mode controller is capable of this? I am hoping this is so and I can get the digital signal passed cleanly through rather than have the Rx and Tx radios both convert from digital to analog and back...the audio really starts sounding bad.

So I am guessing the answer is no then by the lack of responses. Not what I had in mind, but I will look into the anytone.

So specifically being able to TX and RX through both radios is what I am looking for,

so RX from radio A which then repeats by TX from radio B.
The RX from radio B which hen repeats by TX from radio A. So it is more like an extender than a standard repeater style, do MMDVM devices allow this?

I would hate to dump $200 into it to find out they don’t.

goodian

Feed Provider
I use MMDVM’s for my multimode repeaters. One is a STM-32DVM connected to a TKR-850, and the other is the same MMDVM connected to two Kenwood TK-8180’s. They function like a normal repeater, but DMR, Dstar, NXDN, YSF, and P25. The one with the TKR does both digital and analog.

goodian

Feed Provider
They’re not typically going to be able to both function as a receiver and transmitter. You would input on one frequency, and output another another.
there wouldn’t be a visea versa

Yea understood that my use is not the typical repeater use, but I just figured that maybe the mmdvm boards were configurable to allow bi-directional repeater use. If the answer is no, then it is no. This is why I am asking the question.

though I am still yet to hear anyone say definitively that it CANNOT do this...just that no one is using it in this manner. But as I said before, I am not willing to risk it to find out, so I am hoping that eventually someone can confirm if it can or cannot function this way.

goodian

Feed Provider
You may try emailing Scott Zimmerman from the STM 32 DVM website and asking him. He is incredibly knowledgeable, as he designed these boards. I email him every now and then with a couple of questions and he generally gets back to me pretty quickly

gman1971

Has there been any traction on this subject? I am interested in this as well. It works U to V but not back V to U with a pair of CDM750s...

hitechRadio

Here's you Answer...NO,, Currently there is no way out of the box MMDVM,

Get that anytone mobile if you want something like what you want...but MMDVM NO!!!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Anytone 578 doesn't work much past the test bench in that mode. Many have tried it and the range is measured in yards instead of miles.
Not my experience. I had a friend with a 578 in his truck park on a hill west of Martinsburg WV in SFR mode, and made contact from Stephens City VA to Hagerstown MD through it. It wasn't the best reception, but we made contact.

prcguy

I have a 578 and its a great radio but the single channel DMR repeat is not a feature in my book. Your the first I've heard that had anything positive to say about it.

QUOTE="jonwienke, post: 3558529, member: 820387"]
Not my experience. I had a friend with a 578 in his truck park on a hill west of Martinsburg WV in SFR mode, and made contact from Stephens City VA to Hagerstown MD through it. It wasn't the best reception, but we made contact.
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.