MNR VHF Lo and Hi Frequencies In The Database

rkillins

I'm working on programming my SDS100 through Uniden's Sentinal software. I am having great difficulty finding in the database the VHF Lo and Hi frequencies often times used in the parks. Can someone provide another set of eyes to rest these tired ones to them so I can access such to program them in?
I'm visiting a few provincial parks between Parry Sound and the MB border. Last time I found a park operating frequency it was from scanning a wide range of VHF Lo frequencies programmed into my Pro96. If I recall, some parks are also using newer VHF Hi (148ish frequencies)
I should add that list of known also, but can't find them in the database.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Parks seem to be transitioning to a P25 conventional system. Others can chime in with more info on that. Those that have not yet gone to this, are likely still on the VHF Low plan. Ontario Parks Trunking System, Multiple, Ontario

You can find a good layout of the districts here - Ontario Map Viewer

Then of course the conservation enforcement is still on FleetNet Zones 2 and 3 in the rest of the province. Aside from Southern Ontario transitioning to PSRN.

rkillins

Thank you folks! Exactly what was looking for. Curious... why are to low frequencies not included in the database?

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Thank you folks! Exactly what was looking for. Curious... why are to low frequencies not included in the database?
There, is this. Ministry of Natural Resources (Ontario) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference however, the parks are under there appropriate county listings where they've been confirmed. The rest is in the wikipedia in the link I provided above.
My guess is the channels are so vastly unconfirmed and cover such a broad area and can be used anywhere that it's just easier to manage within the wiki instead.
Southern Ontario doesn't have any MNRF Fire management I don't believe and is carried out by local municipalities. Kemptville and areas of Peterborough District I think don't have the MNRF fire coverage either, but anything northwest does.

I believe northern Ontario has more VHF Low frequencies available, you'd have syphon through them in a search here.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
They are where they have been identified as belonging to a specific park.

Furthest north park on VHF P25 would probably be Awenda. Oastler was on VHF as well but in analog. It switched over years ago for some reason. There might be oddballs out there as well so you might want to program in the 3 VHF frequencies in mixed mode just in case.

rkillins

Thanks Mike. I guess there is no Ontario Wide option to put the VHF Low list to similar to the province wide listing for Hydro One. Most of those aren't associated to specific regions and are province wide.
I found Killarney's frequency years ago (I think 47.62) by entering in all the known low freqs hoping for a hit.

IdleMonitor ... where is the Wiki link you referred to in post #5 ("The rest is in the wikipedia in the link I provided above.)? I see no wiki link to the VHF Lo freqs (I swear I had clicked on this list earlier, but can't find it now)

I was most recently in Killarney PP where historically I heard them on VHF Low. I had both the VHF Low and new VHF High freqs in scan, but no activity on any for the couple days I was there.
The warden trucks had an antenna that I have never seen before. It literally looked like an upside down beer bottle. I'm guessing 8-10" high, attached to a "whip" that raised it above the cab. It was mounted with a spring. I wish I had the opportunity to have taken a picture.

Last edited:

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
IdleMonitor ... where is the Wiki link you referred to in post #5 ("The rest is in the wikipedia in the link I provided above.)? I see no wiki link to the VHF Lo freqs (I swear I had clicked on this list earlier, but can't find it now)
It was in post #3 so not sure where it went because I know it was there. But as Enjoi19 posted, it's here

w3rwn

There, is this. Ministry of Natural Resources (Ontario) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference however, the parks are under there appropriate county listings where they've been confirmed. The rest is in the wikipedia in the link I provided above.
My guess is the channels are so vastly unconfirmed and cover such a broad area and can be used anywhere that it's just easier to manage within the wiki instead.
Southern Ontario doesn't have any MNRF Fire management I don't believe and is carried out by local municipalities. Kemptville and areas of Peterborough District I think don't have the MNRF fire coverage either, but anything northwest does.

I believe northern Ontario has more VHF Low frequencies available, you'd have syphon through them in a search here.
The most Southern is Haliburton Fire Management Headquarters is at Stanhope Airport, Alqonquin Highlands Township and covers North Kawartha Lakes (QEII Wildland Park), North Peterborough, Halliburton County, Hastings, Lennox/Addington, Renfrew and of course Algonquin park. (Northern Kawartha Lakes and Peterborough are actually Central Ontario)

I know they have helicopters (Eurocopter) at Stanhope Airport. We had one come to a brush fire on an island in Kawartha Lakes last year.
They may also have Turbo Beavers and Twin Otters stationed at Stanhope.