MNRF forest fire fighting in Sudbury District

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudsyjkh

Hey all.
I know every summer there’s at least one, if not a couple posts asking about this, so figured I would share what I’ve found/verified first hand over the past week or so with the fire season starting to ramp up around here, the radio has been hopping.

Regional dispatch (liftoff/landing reports, new fire investigations, progress reports/size-ups, crew/equipment requests, fire watch patrols etc.) are on Ch 02 (46.640).
Fireground Ops are on channels 36 and 37, depending how many fires are going at one time.
Air coms are using 122.250.
I remember a repeater being used back in the day, when visiting family up here, but have had no success finding that, so thinking it might be decommissioned. TAFL shows two possibilities 413.1875 and 413.9125, which are both silent.

If anyone has anything else to add, feel free.

p1879

Thanks for the report, especially the Low Band frequency. That one would be a good catch down in the SE USA when conditions improve. Perhaps a dozen years, or more, ago I used to hear a lakeside summer camp or park in Ontario using Low Band VHF via skip.

They were very funny and had a blast on the radio. Heard the Boss warn them one day not to forget about the radio listeners, so he must have been aware of their distant audiences. It seems like it could have been a 46 MHz frequency, but memory does not serve, alas.

I guess any summer camp in your beautiful Province would have to have a lake or river; or be liable for misrepresentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.