Mobile 70cm/2M antenna recommendations

jnojr

I'm thinking I might want two... a short / "stubby" one to leave on most of the time, and a longer one I can use for longer drives. I'm having an NMO mount installed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is really the only good choice, as Larsen Antennas are used in public safety and will outlast your vehicle. You need to purchase an NMO mount type of your choice for the vehicle.

I ran one of those for a long time. A good solid antenna that will outlast your car, and the one after that, and the one after that. Passed it down to my brother in law a few years back.

Second the NMO2/70 for the taller antenna.

If you're not fussy about 70cm performance, a 1/4 wave 19" whip on 2m will work on 70cm.

Ditto. It's been a while since I've owned any ham gear, but when I did, I'd often run just a VHF 1/4 wave whip since that's what I used most of the time. On 70cm, they operate as a 3/4 wave antenna. The radiation angle on UHF shoots a bit above the horizon, but not a big deal for most users. It can actually be beneficial if you are using 70cm repeaters on mountain tops.
Plus, they blend in well. The thin whip is usually much more lower profile than the so called "low profile" antennas. And they work better.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking I might want two... a short / "stubby" one to leave on most of the time, and a longer one I can use for longer drives. I'm having an NMO mount installed.
What vehicle do you have and where do you intend to mount it?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'd often run just a VHF 1/4 wave whip since that's what I used most of the time. On 70cm, they operate as a 3/4 wave antenna.
I've been doing the same for several years as well with my 4Runner. The 1/4 whip is less obnoxious when going thru parking garages in town. I swap the 2/70 back when I'm out 4Wheeling. And, joining the consensus of opinions, the Larsen 2/70 is very well made. I've modified mine to add a spring at the base to give it a little more flex when 4Wheeling.