Mobile Alerts quick and easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7YUO

Most of the recent twitter alerts were sent by LGLHooker and some by myself. We would like to see more alerts by other people, so I am sharing this information.

You can quickly send alerts from your web-enabled phone or wireless device.

1. Your device needs to have a default email set up. I use YahooMail.
2. In your phone (device) create a new contact. I call mine Aalert.
It always shows up at the top of the contacts list because of the two A's.
3. For Aalert, I have one email: utalerts800@... (you know the rest).

4. When the action happens, I grab my phone, and select:
Messaging>Contacts>Aalert> The YahooMail Compose screen comes up.
The Twitter alerts address is already in the TO field. I scroll down to the message body and type in the brief alert text and send.
5. My phone shows a message that there are errors in my message. I ignore that. There is nothing wrong with the message.
6. The alert usually shows up on my phone within 15 seconds.

I can usually email an alert and receive it in less than one minute. LGL Hooker and myself hope that others will find this useful and it will lead to more frequent alerts.

We also want to thank UtahViper and BNeilson for their work in creating, troubleshooting, and fixing the alert system.

Mike Smith N7YUO

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
Would it be okay if I added this info to the wiki so it is accessible after this thread gets old and is archived?

N7YUO

Adding this to the wiki is a good idea. LGL Hooker shared this with me, I found it worked well, so I wanted to share it with the Utah Forum. Go ahead and put it in the wiki.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
There have also been a few requests to be able to Text in alerts. While this would be a great option, currently Twitter only allows one phone to be associated per account. They are testing a new feature called "contributors" that may allow for us to be able to have multiple people Text in alerts in the future. However, for now, we are left with email...

kf7yn

Mike, you wrote "3. For Aalert, I have one email: utalerts800@... (you know the rest).
Actually, I don't know the rest, Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks

N7YUO

Mike, you wrote "3. For Aalert, I have one email: utalerts800@... (you know the rest).
Actually, I don't know the rest, Inquiring minds want to know!
Thanks

To: Inquiring Minds that want to know:
Once before, when I posted the entire email address in this forum,
I got this advice from BNeilson:

Quote: Originally Posted by N7YUO
...I sent the alerts to: utahalerts800@twittermail.com

"Just as a side note... I would avoid posting the actual address to the message board to help avoid SPAM to the alert address. Simply do as N7YUO did, but only enter the text to the left of the @." BNeilson
NOTE: I posted the email address hoping someone would correct me if it was wrong. Well, no one caught it. It is utalerts800 not utahalerts800. The alerts come from twitter, so without posting the entire correct email address, I think everyone should be able to figure it out now. Thanks Jon for your inquiry. Nice to hear from you.
Mike Smith N7YUO

Status
Not open for further replies.