mobile antenna...best one????

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

I monitor trunked systems on a 396xt.

Well, you'll need one with a SMA connector. Do you want a magmount, trunklid mount, hole mount? I use a Larsen trunklid mount that has a variety of adapters available: BNC, PL259, SMA. There are also the 'Hershey Kiss' magmounts. They are generally for VHF, UHF, 800Mhz. Small and can be roof mounted. Depends on where you want the antenna:)
Larry

lexmedic157

Well, you'll need one with a SMA connector. Do you want a magmount, trunklid mount, hole mount? I use a Larsen trunklid mount that has a variety of adapters available: BNC, PL259, SMA. There are also the 'Hershey Kiss' magmounts. They are generally for VHF, UHF, 800Mhz. Small and can be roof mounted. Depends on where you want the antenna:)
Larry

So we got the mount you use, what about the antenna?

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
What band are the trunked systems you listen to? VHF/UHF or 800? Do you monitor or would you want to monitor anything else on another band? The Austin Spectra, as mentioned is a multi-band antenna that receives VHF-low/ VHF-hi/ UHF and 800. It will cost roughly $100 shipped. You can get much cheaper antennas if you do not want each band "fine tuned".

You can go to www.scannermaster.com and www.rfwiz.com to get different antenna ideas. Keep in mind if a multi-band antenna is advertised as multi band and claims vhf performance, it is most likely VHF-hi and not VHF-low- unless it specifically states that. You can still receive VHF-low, but it will be impaired on that band a little, if that is important to your reception.

So come back and tell us exactly what you want to monitor and visit the websites and look at the antennas and we can help you w/ coax, adapters and mounts.

Todd

N8IAA

So we got the mount you use, what about the antenna?

Larsen shorty dual band antenna. Center loaded with a spring at the base. Works quite well on VHF/UHF and 800Mhz. If I am just monitoring 800Mhz, cut down VHF antenna cut as a 1/4 wave UHF.
Larry

N5TWB

Simpler is easier. Took my Pro95 for a drive in a company car just yesterday using just a VHF-Hi 1/4 wave mag mount that worked great across all bands including VHF-Lo. Unless you are exclusive to one band where you could improve performance by being closely matched with a specialty antenna, I'd say the VHF-Hi 1/4 wave (19" nominal length @ 2m Ham frequencies) will deliver for you.

Confused1234

Bands...

I listen to 700Mhz 800Mhz trunked systems (Louisiana LWIN). I have my ft8800 for 2m 70cm. I am new to digital scanners. For example I programmed the 396xt with NOPD and I only get a little bit and that is mostly NOEMS. I don't know what I am doing wrong I am hoping that an external antenna will help. I drive from about 50 miles into New Orleans. I am not sure how the whole site system works. but anyway I already have an external 2m 70cm antenna on my truck I was hoping I could use the same connection (PL259).

I don't know!

N5TWB

I listen to 700Mhz 800Mhz trunked systems (Louisiana LWIN). I have my ft8800 for 2m 70cm. I am new to digital scanners. For example I programmed the 396xt with NOPD and I only get a little bit and that is mostly NOEMS. I don't know what I am doing wrong I am hoping that an external antenna will help. I drive from about 50 miles into New Orleans. I am not sure how the whole site system works. but anyway I already have an external 2m 70cm antenna on my truck I was hoping I could use the same connection (PL259).

I don't know!

I hope you are posting your Big Easy-specific questions on the LA forum for assistance on how to properly program that system in your 396 as you are more likely to get better advice there.

External antennas are always better, especially for digital systems. If you want to check out your 2/70 antenna on your 396, just get an adapter to take it from the UHF connector to the SMA connector on the 396.

jambo

I bought this antenna last year from cheapham.com and have to say it has worked out well for me. Where I live I listen to VHF/UHF and 800MHz digital as well as Analog and this antenna covers them all with no problem. http://cheapham.com/LAR-NMO-150-450-800.html Also here is a mag-mount with the connection you were looking for. http://cheapham.com/LAR-NMO-MM.html But if you using it for the scanner it might be better to use the SMA like someone mentioned earlier, but when it's all said and done it is really up to you on the connection type. Finally, these people are great to do buisness with. I ordered mine on a monday and had it in a few days, so they are pretty fast, given the supplies are in stock. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Confused1234

I bought this antenna last year from cheapham.com and have to say it has worked out well for me. Where I live I listen to VHF/UHF and 800MHz digital as well as Analog and this antenna covers them all with no problem. http://cheapham.com/LAR-NMO-150-450-800.html Also here is a mag-mount with the connection you were looking for. http://cheapham.com/LAR-NMO-MM.html But if you using it for the scanner it might be better to use the SMA like someone mentioned earlier, but when it's all said and done it is really up to you on the connection type. Finally, these people are great to do buisness with. I ordered mine on a monday and had it in a few days, so they are pretty fast, given the supplies are in stock. Hope this helps.

This antenna will be good picking up 700~800Mhz?

N8IAA

Depending on what antenna you are using on your Yaesu, it may be a better antenna than the tri-band Larsen. I have one, and it does not perform well on 700/800Mhz. It sits idle. It does work adequately on 150/450Mhz. Larsen does sell a gain 800Mhz antenna. It looks like the old pigtail cell antennas. Now that one works great on trunked systems:) The only drawback is it is bright chrome and sticks out like a sore thumb. The quarter wave, 2m magmount is also a great idea. I agree about posting in the Louisianna forum about how to program the 396.
HTH,
Larry

bee

The pmm3b woks well for me. It is also :low profile, but i can't find them anymore. "Universal Radio" is where I bought mine (four), but they have discontinued them. There is also a "workman ks3" that is almost idenical in appearance.

N5TWB

The antenna I used on my trip on Wednesday was the UGM model (mag mount w/cable & BNC connector) by Hustler. Ham Radio Outlet shows them available at $23.95. I received everything from VHF-Lo to 800 during my trip and I had never cut it from its packaged length (19"). It comes with a cutting chart if you wish to customize it for a frequency. I especially like the really thin coax that is easy to get in thru a door.

Status
Not open for further replies.