Mobile Antenna for Central PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
There have been numerous discussions here regarding opinions on the best mobile antenna. Are there any listeners in Central PA (covering Dauphin, Cumberland, York, Schuylkill, etc.) who can suggest a VERY-good multi-band mobile antenna? I have a glass mount and I think I can be getting better performance from something else. Does factory tint in glass impact reception with the glass mount models?

Thanks in advace.

KL

Woodstock

Anything specific you are trying to pick up? At one point I had some Radioshack mag mount on my car and I had no problem picking up Cumberland, Dauphin, York, and a little from Lancaster and Lebanon. I can't compare it to any "brand name" expensive antennas, but I can't imagine it would have drastically improved my reception.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Majority of my listening is fire. I do listen to some EMS and city PD, but just about any antenna will work well with the 400 MHz used locally. I am in Camp Hill and work in Harrisburg. My low band listening is tough for Dauphin County. I can pick up Cumberland well becuase I use the Lower Allen 800 system which simuls Cumberland FD 1 through 4.

Thanks for the quick reply. Anyone else in the neighborhood?

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
I have used both on glass and NMO mount antennas. Personally I would recommend either the Comtelco or Austin Spectra NMO antennas from Scanner Master. You may not be missing much in UHF or VHF high but you are losing out big time in low band performance with your on glass antenna. If you are worried about mounting solutions they offer a NMO mag mount. Believe me you'll be suprised at the difference it makes for 33 and 46 Mhz.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Mattsenft said:
Personally I would recommend either the Comtelco or Austin Spectra NMO antennas from Scanner Master.

Which model Comtelco would you suggest? I have heard a lot of good things about the Austin Spectra from other areas as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.