Mobile Antenna for MPSCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

twintip720

Premium Subscriber
I have heard many different answers. I am looking for a antenna to hook up to my truck to monitor p25. Any options would be helpful. I don't want a permanant mount.

bsdam

I have heard many different answers. I am looking for a antenna to hook up to my truck to monitor p25. Any options would be helpful. I don't want a permanant mount.

I use a Motorola HAF4017 with good performance. I've also used an Antennex ABSCANC with nice results as well. Either of these coupled with a NMO mag mount should work well.

Are you strictly going to be monitoring the MPSCS, or other bands as well?

-B

Wait I am confused , am I missing something here. Isn't monitoring MPSCS mobile difficult or near impossible since no scanner can adequately decode P25 Simulcast? Well I mean when you are in a vehicle you will be mobile and moving around much. I know I have P25 Simulcast distortion/ phase problems while portable with my Pro-106.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Isn't monitoring MPSCS mobile difficult or near impossible since no scanner can adequately decode P25 Simulcast?

Depends if you're talking about monitoring a simulcast system or not. Most of the state is not simulcast.

Well I mean when you are in a vehicle you will be mobile and moving around much. I know I have P25 Simulcast distortion/ phase problems while portable with my Pro-106.

That's why it is better to get a good antenna if mobile.

Well I suppose I meant Simulcast. I was under the impression that it was the radio / scanner that has the trouble with Simulcast not the antenna...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It does, but a better antenna can help quite a bit.

Hmmm maybe I'll give it a try.... I mean it would also help if I did not live pretty much right in the middle of 2 Macomb MPSCS towers... :(

bsdam

Just MPSCS, what is a good place to order or buy them?
AES carries the Antennex here: AES Price list ABSCANC

AES carries the NMO Mag mounts here: AES Price list (Part no: GB8PSTI)

Depending on the scanner you will need an adapter to connect the antenna cable.

For a GRE or RS scanner a SO-239 to BNC Male will be needed: AES Price list (Part no: AMP 2900)

For a Home Patrol or Uniden scanner a SO-239 to SMA Male will be needed: AES Price list (Part no: HS05)

I've done a lot of business with AES and am very happy with them.

Enjoy.

-B

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.