Mobile antenna on the roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman3725

Premium Subscriber
Just looking for some thoughts on mounting an Austin Spectra mag mount on my roof. Good idea? Bad idea?

mrkelso

I have one mounted on a cookie sheet in my attic and it works perfectly

W2NJS

On a car roof always is best if you can. A mag mount may damage your car's paint finish and may come unstuck in high winds. Drilling a hole for a permanent roof antenna is always the ultimate installation for mobile radios. I have an old Austin dualbander antenna that I still put on my car's roof NMO mount from time to time; must be twenty years old and still works great.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
After receiving poor performance from a Diamond Discone Antenna on a 21 foot tower, I put my Austin Spectra antenna with a mag-mount on one of the roof vents and the Spectra out performed the Diamond.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
For a while it would be good,but a mag-mount antenna is not built for staying outdoors all the time.So in time it would start to break.

snowman3725

Premium Subscriber
After receiving poor performance from a Diamond Discone Antenna on a 21 foot tower, I put my Austin Spectra antenna with a mag-mount on one of the roof vents and the Spectra out performed the Diamond.

Did you have to extend the cable at all?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a base conversion kit that included an NMO mount and four radials. This base kit turns any mobile NMO antenna into a base antenna. The Austin Spectra screws directly onto it; so will any mobile antenna that uses an NMO mount. I used LMR-400 cable for the coax run.

Here is what it looks like:

Larsen BSAKIT Base Conversion Kit

I suppose you could home brew something if you're good at working with metal.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a base conversion kit that included an NMO mount and four radials. This base kit turns any mobile NMO antenna into a base antenna. The Austin Spectra screws directly onto it; so will any mobile antenna that uses an NMO mount. I used LMR-400 cable for the coax run.

How is the Larsen base conversion kit with the Austin Spectra working out for you?

I just brought the Larsen conversion kit and already have the Ausitn Spectra. Hopefully I will get the setup up this weekend.
Right now the Austin Spectra is with a magnetic base on a roof vent which out performs a Diamond Discone antenna. I am using LMR-195.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
How is the Larsen base conversion kit with the Austin Spectra working out for you?

I just brought the Larsen conversion kit and already have the Ausitn Spectra. Hopefully I will get the setup up this weekend.
Right now the Austin Spectra is with a magnetic base on a roof vent which out performs a Diamond Discone antenna. I am using LMR-195.

It works well, but it's only a couple of feet above the roof. I would like to have it higher, but I live in an antenna restricted area. :mad:

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Great news. My pole is only just over 5 feet about the roof, the items should be here in a few days.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
What would be the best low loss cable for a run of about 50 feet?

Really depends on the frequency range you are going to monitor. My listening is VHF-HI, 800, & 900, therefore, I use a very low lost coax because of the 800 and 900, I use LMR-195 which is thin and flexible.

snowman3725

Premium Subscriber
Freq range is 154 to about 485. I plan on adding a tuned 800 antenna as well so that range I'm not concerned with

LtDoc

What feed line? That's a question that a coax comparison/spec chart comes in very handy. Select a cable that has low losses at the highest frequency of use. Then compare costs. Those losses are in 'dB's, so small differences (usually less than about 3 dB) are almost meaningless.
- 'Doc

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
You might want to try Scanner Master who advertise on RR. They sale LMR-400 50 foot with connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.