Mobile Antenna. Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NodrogCop

What other bands will you be listening to the other 10% of the time?

Another antenna to keep in mind is the Larsen Tri-band. Excellent results. One link is this: Larsen NMO150/450/800 Tri-Band NMO Antenna

If you're really going to be listening to 800 that much, I would focus on a true 800 antenna for best performance. Just my 2 cents.

Gordon

photogadam

155 and 450-460 too.

If I get a dedicated 800mhz antenna, will I be able to puck up other bands? And if so, how will the performance be?

Thanks, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

colby4601

155 and 450-460 too.

If I get a dedicated 800mhz antenna, will I be able to puck up other bands? And if so, how will the performance be?

Thanks, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I use an 800 Mhz pigtail antenna on both 800 and VHF and it works great on VHF. It depends on your area, what type of system/conventional you are listening to and your setup of course.

awattam

Mobile Scanner Antenna

I personally use the Spectrum Force Wideband Antenna from Scannermaster which has a mag-mount that works good on the car even at highway speeds. Also its a very low profile antenna with a very thin cable that easily slips between my trunk lid.

SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC

I also have the Radio Shack 20-283 which I use as my `portable' antenna which is specially designed for 800mhz but works great all all the frequencies that my PRO-106 can pick up.

Both the above antennas are around $20 each.

jambo

IMO, I agree with what NodrogCop suggested as far as antennas go. I own the Larsen NMO150/450/800 Tri-Band Antenna, paired with the new and improved mag mount and it's worked out well for me. Try to stay away from those cheapy antennas, because it's like the ole saying goes, "You get what ya pay for". Here's the link where I purchased my setup. http://www.cheapham.com/ant-mob.html. You'll find the antenna listed about 3/4 of the way down the page under the Larsen stuff of course, and right under that is the mag mount as well. I got mine in about 3 days after ordering it. So they are pretty fast at shipping too. With all that said. It's like NodrogCop said, "If you're really going to be listening to 800 MHz that much, I would focus on a true 800 MHz antenna for best performance."

This might be worth reading.http://forums.radioreference.com/antennas-coax-forum/141629-maxscan-1000-vs-larsen-tri-band.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.