Mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

disp10

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a scanner antenna for my car that resembles a standard AM/FM car stereo antenna. VHF range is primarily what I will be monitoring with it. Any ideas?

Maybe connecting the scanner to an actual AM/FM car stereo antenna would work OK?

SLWilson

Splitter

They make a splitter to do what you want. You can still use your AM/FM radio too. They aren't the greatest thing in the world, but, if you are "close" to what you want to listen to, they are OK...

Otherwise, go with a lip mounted 1/4 wave VHF Hi band antenna like in the picture....

Steve/KB8FAR :)

Attachments

• Impala 2.JPG
    Impala 2.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 470

af5rn

Depends on what your definition of "ok" is, and how far away the stations you are listening to are. So long as you're not trying to pick-up a couple of counties over, most of the AM/FM/Scanner couplers work well on VHF. Not excellent, but better than a rubber duck.

disp10

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to mention that my current AM/FM antenna is "in glass". No external antenna. I was contemplating having a regular external antenna installed, but using it for a scanner instead of the stereo. I just want it to look as much like a standard car radio antenna as possible.

jon_k

I just want it to look as much like a standard car radio antenna as possible.

I was just curious and wanted to ask why. I've got no shame and have one of the "ugliest" antennas on my truck affordable, though I could look more ridiculous with a C.B. whip or something.

Was just wondering what your reasons for being inconspicuous were.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber

disp10

Premium Subscriber
I was just curious and wanted to ask why. I've got no shame and have one of the "ugliest" antennas on my truck affordable, though I could look more ridiculous with a C.B. whip or something.

Was just wondering what your reasons for being inconspicuous were.

I just want to keep the antenna low key, and keep the car looking as stock as possible. That's all.

SLWilson

Resale....

I just want to keep the antenna low key, and keep the car looking as stock as possible. That's all.
As far as resale value of your car, the trunk lip mount is probably the best way to go. The model I'm using came from Antennex. It has a pretty thick rubber sleeve between the mount & the trubk lid...
Steve/KB8FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.