Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mundell22

Hey all I have a need for a Mobile Antenna that can pick up VHF and 800MHz freq.

I live in Oklahoma city so I believe there are plenty of repeaters.

My hand held just does not do the job in motion.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I had the Radioshack MAG mount and still had tons of static.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Hey all I have a need for a Mobile Antenna that can pick up VHF and 800MHz freq.

I live in Oklahoma city so I believe there are plenty of repeaters.

My hand held just does not do the job in motion.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I had the Radioshack MAG mount and still had tons of static.

In town with an external antenna and poor reception might be something with the RS MAG mount and cable is not right. How does the radio do mobile with the stock antenna?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I'll second Ghost4658's recommendation. I too have four of the Larsen NMO150/450/800 antennae. I love them dearly.

They are relatively low profile, you can get any NMO mount (i.e., mag, trunklip, drill a hole, etc) and swap them out as needed.

I've been in frequency rich areas (i.e., Metro DC and NYC) with no issues.

As to price, well half a good scanner is the antenna. We'll spend $500 for a good scanner and then $29.99 for a RatShack mag mount antenna. Might work some of the time, but if you're having problems with reception, upgrade the antenna.

SAR923

There's no such thing as a "great" concealment antenna. All of them do much worse on any frequency than the RS mag mount. The RS antenna should do fine in a metropolitan area. The fact you also have lots of static indicates engine nosie may be your problem. Listin to the radio with the engine off and see if the static goes away. If so, you need to figure out what in your engine or on-board computer is causing the problem.

BCFreak

Premium Subscriber
I gues when I mean static it is transmissions that sound bad like being obstructed from view.

I can hear 800 fine but certain 400 range and 150 range come is statc or garbled any idea?

Crappy RATSHACK ANTENNA

What would you reccomend

i have a 2006 Ford Focus so I have to place on the roof

any ideas

Thanks, All

PS: if you guys can send some pics of the best range Antennas for mobile that would be suitable

Status
Not open for further replies.