Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricR

Feed Provider
I have a Icom 208H in the car and am looking for a low profile antenna. What options are available? I know these are not the best performers however, I do not need exceptional range for this application either. Google is my friend but I do not want to buy total junk so I hope someone can guide me in the right direction.

Thanks!

SCPD

QRT
Larsen sells a dual-band antenna that is only 19" high. It's not too bad price wise. (The 2/70SH model. They do make a 19" black model but I don't see it on this page.)

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/larsenm.html

It's a NMO mount. You'll get best performance if you can put a permanent NMO mount in your car roof OR you can use a NMO magnet or bracket mount for temporary mounting.

Last edited:

countryboy879

while we are on the subject of antennas.....i am looking at a diamond antenna that is a window mount....is that suggested? it's a dual band antenna so....please help

APTN

Mounts

Larsen sells a dual-band antenna that is only 19" high. It's not too bad price wise. (The 2/70SH model. They do make a 19" black model but I don't see it on this page.)

Larsen Amateur Mobile Antennas NMO 440B

It's a NMO mount. You'll get best performance if you can put a permanent NMO mount in your car roof OR you can use a NMO magnet or bracket mount for temporary mounting.

I have a Comet trunk-lip mount that does ok.

lmrtek

I use 2 antennas

For long diistance coverage, the Larsen NMO270BK at 32inches is my choice

But for local coverage, I use the Comet B10NMO,

It's only 12 inches tall yet works very well on 440 and works good on 2 meters

mparker

i think you would like the MFJ-1722, i stick it to my iron patio furniture for my HT when i am at home and i also use it mobile too...

the best part is, its only $20 bucks.. and it looks like a cellular antenna.

N1BHH

I have a Icom 208H in the car and am looking for a low profile antenna. What options are available? I know these are not the best performers however, I do not need exceptional range for this application either. Google is my friend but I do not want to buy total junk so I hope someone can guide me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Google is your friend as a research tool. If you use your brain and see what's available you will follow your instincts and find many antennas available. Never settle on the first one, research more. The best place to look for them is the Universal Radio site: Amateur Mobile Antennas

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I use the Diamond NR72BNMO (a dual band 2m/70cm antenna). Total height including the pigtail is about 13". You can find the eHam review here. Awesome performance. The only bad review on there brings it's average down to a 4.5/5. It's an awesome, low profile dual bander.

Duster40

I have a bracket that slips over the edge of a window glass,
that has a a BNC connector to install your rubber-duckie on,
& gets your antenna outside the vehicle.
I also have a 'rubber-duckie mount' that has 2 suction cups,
that I have used on the train...with that mount, I use a longer
'high-gain' antenna...inside of course.

Duster40

By "low profile" I'm interpreting as "small". If that's true, consider a basic 2m 1/2 wave, which also a 3/4 wave for 440.

CORRECTION.....a 2 meter QUARTER WAVE ..1/4...is also a 440 3-quarter wave....

I believe the 1/2 wave statement is just a 'slip-of-the-lip' oversight.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I use the Diamond NR72BNMO (a dual band 2m/70cm antenna). Total height including the pigtail is about 13". You can find the eHam review here. Awesome performance. The only bad review on there brings it's average down to a 4.5/5. It's an awesome, low profile dual bander.

I use two of the NR72BNMO as well. Very low-profile. That's actually the first reason I used them in my install. They are good for working local repeaters, but don't expect to work any distant repeaters or distant simplex with them. It will do you just fine in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.