Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Sorry if this has been covered already but I do have ? about thru the glass scanner antennas are they any good and could you recommend one for me or should I stay away from them, I mainly listen to a 800 trunked system,Anyhow thanks in advance and Happy Holidays All

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If all you listen to is 800, then get yourself a cellphone antenna. They're quite broadbanded on 800, so the difference in performance between that portion of the band and 800 public service is negligible.

Otherwise - well I haven't heard too much that was good about on-glass scanner antennas - and keep in mind that metallic tinting on windows will really make the antenna performance suffer, or so I've been told....

best regards..Mike

vdubb16

Ive been using one simple because i had it laying around for scanning UHF at work and local 800 its been hit or miss beyond 10miles with the uhf but the system at work doesnt isnt much to brag about being only transmitting from 20ft off the ground, against a steel roof. Marine corps way....However the 800 has been pretty good i think, i cant say for sure how far away im receiving from.

W2NJS

You can't get ideal results with the thru-glass antenna if the glass is tinted, but if it's not then a properly installed antenna of this type works well. The glass acts as a capacitor and the RF is an AC signal, so the signal passes through the glass. If you understand that and install the unit properly, meaning adjusting the tuning box and properly grounding the system, then you should be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.