Mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt25

I have 2 kenwood radios (vhf&uhf) and I would like to run them both off the same antenna. What would I need to do that and what’s the best antenna for it.

nd5y

Is this for amateur, commercial or public safety use?
You need a diplexer (sometimes marketed as a duplexer) that covers the required frequencies and transmit power and an antenna that covers the required frequencies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I think you want a duplexer not a diplexer with a dual band antenna.
You use a duplexer to connect two radios to one antenna. You use a diplexer to connect two antennas to one radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think you want a duplexer not a diplexer with a dual band antenna.
You use a duplexer to connect two radios to one antenna. You use a diplexer to connect two antennas to one radio.

The diplexers will work both ways. https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/comet-cf-4160j-1638

A diplexer that has a split that covers the VHF band on one port and the UHF band on the other port will work. Connect that to a suitable multiband antenna:

Use a mag mount (ugh…), trunk lip mount, or glass mount antenna (double ugh…..)

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you for the help. I don’t wanna drill for resale value of the vehicle.

A properly installed NMO mount does not impact resale value.

I've traded in a lot of trucks with 1 or 2 NMO mounts on them and never once was there an issue. Traded in cars usually are purchased by brokers and redistributed to other dealers. All they care about is milage and general condition. You can put an NMO rain cap over the mount when you sell it, or screw a cellular antenna on it and tell them you "get more bars" on your cell phone with it.

You'll risk damaging the paint with mag mounts or trunk lip mounts, damaging the coax with it slammed in doors or pinched in windows.

I understand not wanting to drill, but resale value is not a concern.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I have this antenna and I'm very happy with it's performance.

Re-consider having a hole drilled and proper NMO mount installed. I used to feel the same way and didn't even consider drilling a hole. I've used mag mounts, luggage rack mounts etc. and they are all a compromise in one way or another, met a semi on a highway once during a strong cross wind and the wind vortex the semi put off knocked my mag mount and antenna right off the car and scratched the paint. I then realized, this is stupid, I'm going to get the hole drilled, an now I couldn't be happier.

I'm going to have the hole drilled in another car when I get get on a local installers schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.