• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile communications box

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnt133

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if this is in the wrong place. Hey guys, I am a Lt. on a decent sized volunteer squad in a small city. Up until now we have been getting a mobile communications vehicle for our larger events but yesterday we found ourselves without one. Not a huge problem, I just grabbed a few portable and ran operations with them in a tent but I would like to see us go completely independent and become self sufficient in that aspect. A radio dealer in our area makes "radio boxes" if you will. They consist of 2 or 3 radios in a rugged shell box with a separate power supply and antennas. I'm probably going to quote out one with 3 moto trbo xpr 4000 mobiles (choosing this model because of price and we really don't need anything super powerful) with a boom mic and PTT buttons under the radios. Sorry for dragging this out but to get to the point I was wondering if it would be possible to set up some sort of "alert button" for the radios in the event that one of the units are not listening an alert tone can be sent out. By alert tone im talking about something along the lines of a 1000 mhz tone and a momentary button that can be pushed to get there attention. Most dispatch centers have this feature. i.e. they push the button and all the units hear a steady "beep" tone for however long the dispatcher holds the button down. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. On top of that If you guys have any suggestions for the box please feel free to submit them.

Thanks!!!
Brendan

teufler

If you have a touch tone mic, any button can be your button when needed. I am sure motorola has these available. Ham radio, we used and some still do, a long tone 0. If you want to transmit a tone for all stations to hold traffic, other than manually pushing the 0 button, you would have to have something more .

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Nearly all commercial radios have an emergency button on them that can be programmed to do a multitude of functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Nearly all commercial radios have an emergency button on them that can be programmed to do a multitude of functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
For some ideas on boxes, check for "Go Boxes" for ham radio operators.

One way to save some money, is to consider using brands other than Big M. (Unless you are using MotoTrbo.)

Sent via Tapatalk

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Search youtube for go box - there are lots of videos of different setups.

If the mobile radio has QC-II encode capability, you can program up a tone pair of 1050/1050 for your alert tone. 1050 is the old standard alert tone found in many consoles. There are newer ones that have birdies, hi-lo, warble, all sorts of alert tones, but the old 1050 is plenty.

If your system is strictly conventional, the Motorola CDM1250's are great for this application. They do QC-II encode and decode, MDC1200, and DTMF. The 25 watt version can be run at even lower power with no problems.

I am currently setting up a MCI trailer for our county. The radios are a pair of CDM1250's, one VHF Hi and the other Low Band. They are easy to mount and versatile to use.

Viking_Medic

I apologize if this is in the wrong place. Hey guys, I am a Lt. on a decent sized volunteer squad in a small city. Up until now we have been getting a mobile communications vehicle for our larger events but yesterday we found ourselves without one. Not a huge problem, I just grabbed a few portable and ran operations with them in a tent but I would like to see us go completely independent and become self sufficient in that aspect. A radio dealer in our area makes "radio boxes" if you will. They consist of 2 or 3 radios in a rugged shell box with a separate power supply and antennas. I'm probably going to quote out one with 3 moto trbo xpr 4000 mobiles (choosing this model because of price and we really don't need anything super powerful) with a boom mic and PTT buttons under the radios. Sorry for dragging this out but to get to the point I was wondering if it would be possible to set up some sort of "alert button" for the radios in the event that one of the units are not listening an alert tone can be sent out. By alert tone im talking about something along the lines of a 1000 mhz tone and a momentary button that can be pushed to get there attention. Most dispatch centers have this feature. i.e. they push the button and all the units hear a steady "beep" tone for however long the dispatcher holds the button down. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. On top of that If you guys have any suggestions for the box please feel free to submit them.

Thanks!!!
Brendan

Good Day, because you are going to be using mototrbo radios, I would suggest using Turbonet and GPS enabled radios, so if a unit sotps responding, you are able to see the closes unit and talk them into the non responsive unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.