Mobile Display question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Call me a geek, but I decided to make my display look like an apx radio with the same color scheme as a mobile apx radio. I have installed it in the mobile right by my right knee. Now it’s sometimes difficult to see in bright sunlight. I’m curious about what others have done with installing their sds200 in the mobile.
I know I could change it back to the black background, but I really don’t want to. Have you installed yours in the mobile environment? What did you do?A9F6F069-3CD1-4881-A7F7-E8AC4181BDB9.jpeg

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
You are right to post your observation relating to poor illumination in direct sunlight. Paul Opitz (Upman) addressed that very issue early on with the SDS100. He suggested doing what you are doing with the black and white option. But until Uniden starts using TFT (Thin-film-transistor) liquid-crystal displays, which give excellent visibility day or night, we will have to be satisfied with switching between the “Simple” and “Detail” versions of the display. Set one up to work best in direct sunlight and the other for “Parade” mode. Lovin the multi colored display, especially the bright day-glow colors. It reminds me of the aftermarket light kits seen on motorcycles and show vehicles, hence the “parade” reference.
In any case, it’s not just one step that changes between simple and detail... you have to go into the menu, scroll down to display options, choose customize and then choose either “Set Simple” or “Set Detail” for both Conventional and Trunk! Uniden did not gang both conventional and trunk into one command and did not provide a one button control on the keypad... so it’s a chore to swap between the “simple“ and “detail”. Sorry, best I can come up with.

N4DJC

@n1chu

The SDS screens are a lot of fun. I have several set up in different profiles.

I found the color displays of both the Yaesu FT-3DR and the Kenwood TH-D74A to be difficult to read in bright sunlight. The FT-3DR in particular. it was almost unreadable, perhaps due to the touch screen. I can read LCD screens better in bright sunlight.

Apples and oranges, but the best screen for bright sunlight I've used is the e-ink screen of the Kindle Paperwhite.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The paper white uses 4 LED’s mounted on the edge of the screen so that’s no comparison. The TFT’s are quite good in direct sunlight, they don’t offer much in the way of color but they remain functional, meaning they can be read easily.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Call me a geek, but I decided to make my display look like an apx radio with the same color scheme as a mobile apx radio. I have installed it in the mobile right by my right knee. Now it’s sometimes difficult to see in bright sunlight. I’m curious about what others have done with installing their sds200 in the mobile.
I know I could change it back to the black background, but I really don’t want to. Have you installed yours in the mobile environment? What did you do?View attachment 84861
I have an SDS200 mounted on the top of the dash of my F-150. The white text on black is the easiest to read, although all schemes suffer from washout in bright sunlight. IMO, they should have gone with a true daylight readable display like the 8" nav display on the factory infotainment system.

Status
Not open for further replies.