• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile External Speaker for Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhtm350

What does everyone use in their vehicles for an external speaker? It needs to be an amplified speaker or it is not loud enough.

I have tried the RS external amplified speaker and while it was a good speaker, it cuts off after 25 seconds of nonaudio and has about a half second delay when powering back on so i found it missed alot of audio with another scanner on hand. That one didnt suit me so I took it back.

I have tried wiring up computer speakers with a DC adapter and a humming noise comes through with the engine off and I tried everything to get rid of the noise to no avail. Tried a DC to AC adapter and it eliminated the noise but I did not like the noise from the adapter or the looks of it.

I have done the paperclip trick and a nonamplified external speaker and that works pretty good but i would like for it to be louder.

jfhtm350

I searched the internet for a way to do that, but i couldnt find anything. Thanks.

I had took it apart and i dont believe mine was made like that. I saw a computer chip in mine which i figured was programmed for the auto power deal. I cant make out what that schematic means to do anyway and i already took the speaker back. I even stopped by a cb shop and he more or less laughed at me. Hehe. I see a Q4 but i dont see the emitter part.

NYRHKY94

Do you have either an Aux input on your car stereo system or a cassette player? If so, either of those will give you what you are looking for. I use a cassette player adapter with my Pro-106 in the car and get nice loud audio through the car stereo speakers.

jfhtm350

No I dont have an input on mine. I have a CD player so a cassette adapter thing wont work either. I did try an FM modulator from Radio Shack and it picked up a bunch of noise from somewhere. It was the cheapest one they had so that might have been the reason, dont know. I think it was somewhere along the lines of $20.

If that radio shack speaker didnt have that auto power off feature, that would be the best thing. At least they could have made it 5 or 10 minutes or something more than 25 seconds. I dont believe 1 or 2 amps is gonna run your car battery down in that amount of time if its not running. I cant make out what that schematic posted says to do or even if its still the same board in them. That was a 2009 thread.

reedeb

I've had scanners, CB, Ham, and Public Service radios in my vehicles and except for the PS radios never needed an external speaker. IF you are traveling with the windows down, ya it gets noisey, So close the windows and the noise factor drops.

GrumpyGuard

A couple guys here have tried this from Radio Shack. You can connect your scanner directly to it and/or connect your non-amplified speaker to it as well. It's been reported to be quite loud.

RadioShack® Mini Audio Amplifier - RadioShack.com

I have this speaker and yes it is loud. Two problems with it. First, it does not play nice with my ham radio. Each time I key the radio it causes static in the speaker. Second, if the volume on the scanner is up to high the sound becomes distorted.
The nine volt battery will last quite a long time, even if you leave it on for long periods of time because you for got to turn it off.

If you are willing to spend the money you might want to look at the clear speech by West mountain radio West Mountain Radio - CLRspkr ClearSpeech Hiel sound also makes a clear speech speaker. You can also check MFJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.