Mobile iHF to Satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.

VernM

Mobile HF to Satellite "RV'n"

My mobile pictured at 102.99 West and 36.92 North -- Black Mesa State Park at the end of the Oklahoma panhandle.

Two-way satellite service, HF radio 80-10 and SWL 150KHz to 1200 MHz including Two meter ham radio, Bearcat BCT-8 and BC 796D and Hustler incluidng all resonators 80-10, Two meter 5/8 or 1/4 wave Larsen and two Larsen NMO scanner antennas. I'd bring more scanners but need more antennas.

The satellite Internet connection is Hughes. One watt up and speeds around 800 Kbs down and 100 Kbs up.
I'm on SatMex 5. Takes about 15 minutes on a good day to put up the tripod and antenna, aim, get a handshake, and get on with e-mail and stuff. Computer is Vaio VGNS260, which contains all the necessary aiming and satellite service management programs plus CoPilot GPS, used only to get my coordinates.

There's a Honda 2000 watt generator in the little trailer too, for when needed. The van also is self-contained for travel and exploring, with refrigerator, microwave and such. All home-brewed from kit furniture and such and all can come out to return it to "normal" van configuration should I ever, ever think of parting with it regardless of what gasoline costs (16mpg).

Attachments

• Van BM 007 (2).jpg
    Van BM 007 (2).jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 513
  • VanRV 001 (2).jpg
    VanRV 001 (2).jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 359
  • VanRV 002.jpg
    VanRV 002.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:

SAR923

Well, Vern, everyone has to have a hobby. :) Very neat looking job overall. How about some interior pics?

n8myc

Nice set up there. I did the same thing back in my Navy days. I used to go to different places every weekend in my van and operated from some pretty cool places. I sure miss those days and the van. Nice job on the console between the seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.