Mobile "Low Profile Disguise Phantom" Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey224

Im looking to mount either a Laird or PCTel Low Profile Disguise Disc type antenna on the trunk, my question is I will be monitoring 400mhz conventional and 800mhz trunking, should I go with the UHF or 800 range antenna? I know there is going to be a compromise either way but which would be the better choice overall?
Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Im looking to mount either a Laird or PCTel Low Profile Disguise Disc type antenna on the trunk, my question is I will be monitoring 400mhz conventional and 800mhz trunking, should I go with the UHF or 800 range antenna? I know there is going to be a compromise either way but which would be the better choice overall?
Thanks!

Couple of questions, if you don't mind...
Why do you need the low profile disguise antennas? They work OK on UHF and 800, but they don't make a multiband model that's any good and you'll get much better performance out of a proper antenna. Just trying to understand your need.

Can you do two antennas? That'll work better.

If I had to venture a guess, the UHF model is going to work better, but I've never tested one to confirm. The 800MHz model is going to have a short compact radiating element and probably will not perform well on UHF. The UHF model will have a longer element and may perform marginally better on 800.

This is a UHF T-band model:

mikey224

I'm currently using the one you have pictured mounted to my rear deck inside, only monitoring UHF and it does work very well. Switching to a 536hp to also monitor local 800 so was just wondering... Thinking of getting the antenna out on the trunk but i dint want anything sticking up so that was why I'm leaning towards the "Low Profile Disc" style, if not I'll just stay with the antenna I'm currently running.

prcguy

Using a VHF antenna on UHF is one thing where it will have an ok match because its 3/4 wavelength on UHF, but using a 450 antenna on 800 is really bad where the antenna will be 1/2 wavelength long and a super high impedance with a really bad match. Going the other way using an 800 antenna on 450 usually gives grim performance.

Danny37

Couple of questions, if you don't mind...
Why do you need the low profile disguise antennas? They work OK on UHF and 800, but they don't make a multiband model that's any good and you'll get much better performance out of a proper antenna. Just trying to understand your need.

Can you do two antennas? That'll work better.

If I had to venture a guess, the UHF model is going to work better, but I've never tested one to confirm. The 800MHz model is going to have a short compact radiating element and probably will not perform well on UHF. The UHF model will have a longer element and may perform marginally better on 800.

This is a UHF T-band model:

I have the white version of this antenna and it works pretty good for my uses. I have the UHF 470-490 model and it pretty much covers the entire uhf band, strong nearby vhf signals and strong 800mhz signals. As far as transmitting, can't tell you much cause i use it with a scanner.

I tried punching in VHF and 800 stuff that my other 1/4 antenna pulls in and it didn't do a good job for the distant signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.