Mobile NMO mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

What is the difference between a magnetic NMO mount and a installed NMOmount ? is the reception different and do the magnetic mounts come off while driving ever happen

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Reception will be improved a little with a permanent NMO mount over a mag mount.

Do they blow off? YES.

Does the coax scratch the paint as it flaps in the wind? YES.

Is constantly fighting with the coax running through a door or window a pain in the rear? YES.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What is the difference between a magnetic NMO mount and a installed NMOmount ? is the reception different and do the magnetic mounts come off while driving ever happen

If you put a permanent mount NMO in the center of your vehicle roof, and you compare that to a magnetic NMO mount in the same place on a similar car, there is a 0.2dB disadvantage with the mag mount.

In addition:
The lack of a proper ground connection with the mag mount -at the antenna base- can result in RF getting sent back along the coaxial cable into the vehicle and causing issues. There's a lot of benefit to doing a permanent mount. The capacitive coupling of the mag mount base to the vehicle isn't as good as an actual connection to the sheet metal.

Routing the coaxial cable becomes an issue. At some point you have to get it inside the car. It can be pinched in doors or windows. Pinching the cable will change it's characteristic impedance and can create issues.
It can also damage the jacket, which will allow water in and corrosion to damage the cable.
It can also damage the paint, weather stripping, etc.

The loose cable flapping against the roof will get tiring after a while. It'll also damage the paint.
The magnet will attract metal dust and lead to scratched paint and discoloration. Paint fade rings happen.

If you use an undersized mount and a large antenna, they can get knocked off. They'll do a lot of damage to the paint in the process. Having a mag mount bouncing along the road next to your car at highway speeds will do a lot of damage.

Mag mounts are good for temporary solutions. I have one, but I only use it for testing antenna locations if necessary before drilling the hole.
There's a reason why you don't see police cars, fire trucks and ambulances driving around with mag mount antennas.

Yes it'll work. Yes we understand some don't want to drill a hole. Yes we understand you need to keep the wife happy. Yes we know it's easier. Yes, you'll likely never notice that 0.2dB difference.
No, it does not impact resale value to do a proper install. No a mag mount does not work better.

KO4IPV

If you put a permanent mount NMO in the center of your vehicle roof, and you compare that to a magnetic NMO mount in the same place on a similar car, there is a 0.2dB disadvantage with the mag mount.

In addition:
The lack of a proper ground connection with the mag mount -at the antenna base- can result in RF getting sent back along the coaxial cable into the vehicle and causing issues. There's a lot of benefit to doing a permanent mount. The capacitive coupling of the mag mount base to the vehicle isn't as good as an actual connection to the sheet metal.

Routing the coaxial cable becomes an issue. At some point you have to get it inside the car. It can be pinched in doors or windows. Pinching the cable will change it's characteristic impedance and can create issues.
It can also damage the jacket, which will allow water in and corrosion to damage the cable.
It can also damage the paint, weather stripping, etc.

The loose cable flapping against the roof will get tiring after a while. It'll also damage the paint.
The magnet will attract metal dust and lead to scratched paint and discoloration. Paint fade rings happen.

If you use an undersized mount and a large antenna, they can get knocked off. They'll do a lot of damage to the paint in the process. Having a mag mount bouncing along the road next to your car at highway speeds will do a lot of damage.

Mag mounts are good for temporary solutions. I have one, but I only use it for testing antenna locations if necessary before drilling the hole.
There's a reason why you don't see police cars, fire trucks and ambulances driving around with mag mount antennas.

Yes it'll work. Yes we understand some don't want to drill a hole. Yes we understand you need to keep the wife happy. Yes we know it's easier. Yes, you'll likely never notice that 0.2dB difference.
No, it does not impact resale value to do a proper install. No a mag mount does not work better.
Ok I guess I am In the market for a permanent NMO Mobil Mount ! What is your recommendation for the best out there .

Status
Not open for further replies.