• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_k

Greetings,

I've got an antenna mounted via an ¬ mount to the side of my trucks aluminum toolbox. I've also got a portable BC246T scanner, the handheld variety.

I plug my scanner BNC into the antenna mounted on the toolbox. I then connect the earphone plug using a MALE-MALE cable to the INPUT jack on my stereo headunit. This is done to get sound via my car speakers.

When I start my vehicle, I hear a sort of noise. When I rev the engine, the noise increases. When I flip my blinker, the noise oscillates when the blinker draws current.

If I disconnect the antenna and apply the rubber ducky, there is no noise.

Is this noise that is being radiated via the metal body of the vehicle into the antenna, through the antenna ground to the mobile ground, and up into the radio from the scanner?

Any ideas on this? Ways to eliminate?

Don_Burke

Is the noise present with the scanner connected to the antenna on the toolbox, but not connected to the car stereo?
jon_k said:
Greetings,

I've got an antenna mounted via an ¬ mount to the side of my trucks aluminum toolbox. I've also got a portable BC246T scanner, the handheld variety.

I plug my scanner BNC into the antenna mounted on the toolbox. I then connect the earphone plug using a MALE-MALE cable to the INPUT jack on my stereo headunit. This is done to get sound via my car speakers.

When I start my vehicle, I hear a sort of noise. When I rev the engine, the noise increases. When I flip my blinker, the noise oscillates when the blinker draws current.

If I disconnect the antenna and apply the rubber ducky, there is no noise.

Is this noise that is being radiated via the metal body of the vehicle into the antenna, through the antenna ground to the mobile ground, and up into the radio from the scanner?

Any ideas on this? Ways to eliminate?

jon_k

Don_Burke said:
Is the noise present with the scanner connected to the antenna on the toolbox, but not connected to the car stereo?

Without the connection to the stereo, there is no noise.

Is it possible I've got a ground loop problem? Could I isolate the circuit with a balun with the audio cable to the stereo?

Last edited:

af5rn

I have a feeling it may be those plastic/nylon stand-offs you are using on your antenna mount. You're losing ground with those and I bet that is affecting you. As an experiment, remove those stand-offs, open your tool box, and mount the antenna and bracket directly to the box and then go check for the noise again. If it's gone, you've found your problem with little effort. If it's there, then you'll have to keep looking.

Where does your power wire run, and what size wire are you using for it?

Don_Burke

jon_k said:
Without the connection to the stereo, there is no noise.

Is it possible I've got a ground loop problem? Could I isolate the circuit with a balun with the audio cable to the stereo?

Ground loop would be my first guess, although af5rn may be onto something.

I would try a jumper to make sure the antenna mount is grounded.

You could use an isolation transformer in that audio connection to beat a ground loop, if that is what the problem really is.

jon_k

af5rn said:
I have a feeling it may be those plastic/nylon stand-offs you are using on your antenna mount. You're losing ground with those and I bet that is affecting you. As an experiment, remove those stand-offs, open your tool box, and mount the antenna and bracket directly to the box and then go check for the noise again. If it's gone, you've found your problem with little effort. If it's there, then you'll have to keep looking.

Where does your power wire run, and what size wire are you using for it?

Power wire is isolated. It's a handheld scanner I'm using at the moment with batteries, so any suspicion of scanner power being the culprit aren't counted.

The noise must be a ground loop of some sort. The only two items is 1) the Antenna 2) The car radio. They are grounded in separate locations and the difference in potential must be leaking in somewhere (probably from antenna.)

The plastic standoffs could very well be the source of a flakey ground connection. I will try mounting directly to the toolbox and see if this helps. I'll also try grounding the base of the antenna mount to the metal shell of the car radio, which should remove any ground loop since the antenna and vehicle radio will have same ground potential.

We'll see what happens. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and report back here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.