mobile question

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitesox4life

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9100/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

i am looking at getting my tech license so i can utilize my local 2m (also used for skywarn wx spotters). I am also a volunteer firefighter and need a mobile that will handle my county's vhf ops and also the 2m channels. I have been looking at a Motorola CDM1250 and have been told that will be a good choice, however, would like more input on this radio or other suggestions.

N1BHH

Using a modified amateur radio on public service frequencies is not kosher, it isn't type accepted. For public safety radio you need a radio designed for that use.

Get you ham ticket and learn about radio theory and have fun with it, get the technical stuff down first and you will enjoy the hobby. And as I have mentioned before, those eham reviews leave something to be desired because many of those folks are not technically inclined despite having a ham ticket, many are appliance operators.

KF7DUR

This radio will work fine for PS and 2m usage. The only problem I see is the cost of programming it. Motorola is very proud $$$$ of their programming software and programming cables. Kenwood may be a better choice if you want a good radio that is cost effective to program yourself.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
This radio will work fine for PS and 2m usage. The only problem I see is the cost of programming it. Motorola is very proud $$$$ of their programming software and programming cables. Kenwood may be a better choice if you want a good radio that is cost effective to program yourself.

I'll second the Kenwood. A TK-7180 can be ordered with the TFS option that gives you the ability to program through the front panel. On the initial purchase, have the radio shop set you up with fire freqs, 2 meter and whatever else you can think of. If something new pops up later down the road, no need to take it back for reprogramming, just add it yourself. The CDM 1250 is a good radio but lacks this ability.

kjfswkr

Using a modified amateur radio on public service frequencies is not kosher, it isn't type accepted. For public safety radio you need a radio designed for that use.

Get you ham ticket and learn about radio theory and have fun with it, get the technical stuff down first and you will enjoy the hobby. And as I have mentioned before, those eham reviews leave something to be desired because many of those folks are not technically inclined despite having a ham ticket, many are appliance operators.

Most hams today are appliance operators. How many really build their own equipment anymore?

'73

kevin
PAO

rescuecomm

Most hams today are appliance operators. How many really build their own equipment anymore?

Probably about the same number of persons that build their own cars to drive. You could do it, but it would be a lot of trouble to match a radio engineering department. I am a ham and have built interface boards, antennas, and repeaters out of old radio gear. I consider myself somewhat educated on the subject, but building a radio from scratch to match commerical offerings is a bit of a stretch.

Bob

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Get you ham ticket and learn about radio theory and have fun with it, get the technical stuff down first and you will enjoy the hobby."
That's pretty much what I tell everybody because it always pays to know what makes things work. It really has little to nothing to do with being an appliance operator for reasons stated above. A bit of a stretch Bob? I think if most of these guys just looked inside one of today's rigs the rubber band in the brain would snap. (;->)

N1BHH

'73

kevin
PAO

I build my antennas, built keyers and tuners, helped build amplifiers and rebuilt old beams. I know many people who built transceivers and amplifiers and more. I look for any opportunity to experiment and build, there just aren't many who want to, they just want the easy fix, buy this, buy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.