mobile radio for railscanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I am thinking of upgrading my old 2m mobile radio that is over 15 years old. I was looking at the new Yeasu 2m radios but the sensitivity doesn't look that great. Anyone have experience with scanning the railroads with the newer current model of yeasu mobile or handheld radios? I'm looking at the Yeasu FT 2980 for mobile. I want to get a new handheld as well. any suggestions?

lu81fitter

I don't know much about the two-way market, but the Uniden BCT15X is a great scanner for the analog side of things. The Uniden BCD996P2 is basically the same radio with the digital modes if you need that. It is a paid upgrade to get NXDN and DMR. Pro-Voice is available as well, but that is about EOL.

MDScanFan

Though you seem to be leaning towards Yaesu, I suggest looking into the Kenwood TM-281A to see if it has the features needed. I bought one for rail scanning after reading reviews of it on this forum and a rail forum. Benchmark testing it against my other radios confirms its excellent sensitivity and audio recovery. For VHF High FM it is works better than most, if not all, of my other radios. I don't recall ever experiencing intermod issues with the 281.

I liked it so much I bought a second one for a dedicated marine band setup. I bought both of them used at around $100-125 each.

Here are a couple threads I started on rail and marine reception that include some comments on the TM-281A
Seeking Feedback on Rail Band Reception Improvement Options
Fringe VHF Marine Reception Help Needed

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I can't even get the FT-2980 as it's out of stock everywhere. that's crazy. and used older models on ebay are priced as much or more then a new one. Why does hams price their used radios so high on ebay? Where is the best place to get used scanners and ham radios online?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Its not a ham radio, but my go to mobile is a TK-7180.

I'll second that. I recently purchased a use TK-7180 to install in my wife's new truck. When it arrived I read the file and it was an old BNSF radio that had all the AAR channels already programmed in.
Properly tuned up, those are solid little radios, and they cover the 2 meter band nicely.

N4DJC

Icom IC-2300H is a great radio, very sensitive, and has NFM. Runs pretty hot at 65 watts though.

The Kenwood TM-281A is very good as well, front facing speaker and pretty good audio.

Last edited:

N9CWF

Feed Provider
Why does hams price their used radios so high on ebay?

Supply and demand (thanks Covid 19) are driving prices up. A fire at the Asahi Kasei Microsystems factory in China has choked the supplies of new semiconductors for radios, autos, computers. If your older radios are working for you, I'd sit tight. Now is not the time to shop for bargains.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Supply and demand (thanks Covid 19) are driving prices up. A fire at the Asahi Kasei Microsystems factory in China has choked the supplies of new semiconductors for radios, autos, computers. If your older radios are working for you, I'd sit tight. Now is not the time to shop for bargains.

Actually that factory is in Nobeoka, Japan, but I concur. If the older radios are working, sit tight. They're looking at another 6 months at least before the factory is back on line, so there will be major supply chain disruptions, and corresponding high prices on products that are already out there until well after it's back online.

This is affecting products ranging from professional and consumer communications gear to audio equipment and computer components. Throw today's "just in time" style of manufacturing into the mix and it kind of makes you wonder about the wisdom of putting all your eggs in a single basket, doesn't it?

As far as a radio for monitoring railroads, don't discount dual-band rigs. I've got a Yaesu FT7900 (dual band) in the truck which works like a champ for rail monitoring; only problem is that even used ones are pretty high-priced on eBay right now.

Last edited:

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Why does hams price their used radios so high on ebay?

Besides the fire and supply chain disruptions that Tom mentioned, there's also been a much bigger interest in ham radio over the past few months I've had several inquiries from people who have become interested in getting their ham tickets, and have known several people that have passed their technician tests since the first of the year. That's caused more of a demand for ham gear, which means higher prices on used gear.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It goes well back, before COVID.
I sold a Yaesu VX-170 many years ago. I bought it new for about $125.00. I used it for many years. It had a few scratches, but was generally looked after. Battery was used. I put it on e-Bay, and it sold for somewhere close to $170.00. I have no idea why. You could still buy new ones for the $100-$125 range at the time.

Did the same thing with an Icom 2 meter radio. Bought it for around $150 new. Sold it a few years later for close to $200.

I think people get caught up in the 'wanting to win at any cost' attitude. Or, they just have no idea what they are buying and have no idea that they could get something new for a lower price.
On some older stuff, nostalgia does play in to some level.
But I agree, some of the eBay bidding gets absolutely stupid.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Besides the fire and supply chain disruptions that Tom mentioned, there's also been a much bigger interest in ham radio over the past few months I've had several inquiries from people who have become interested in getting their ham tickets, and have known several people that have passed their technician tests since the first of the year. That's caused more of a demand for ham gear, which means higher prices on used gear.

I concur. Our test sessions at the EOC have been quite popular, I had to turn people away from the last one as we were full up.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I've noticed the prices being high over the last few years when looking. even before covid.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I'll second that. I recently purchased a use TK-7180 to install in my wife's new truck. When it arrived I read the file and it was an old BNSF radio that had all the AAR channels already programmed in.
Properly tuned up, those are solid little radios, and they cover the 2 meter band nicely.
sweet find. I've always wanted a authentic RR radio like the ones with the RR names stamped in on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.