mobile radio for railscanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyG760

Premium Subscriber
sweet find. I've always wanted a authentic RR radio like the ones with the RR names stamped in on them.
I have a Kenwood TK-2180 with UPRR stamped on it that I picked up on eBay a few months ago sitting on my desk right now.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.png
    IMG_0688.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0689.png
    IMG_0689.png
    794.6 KB · Views: 36

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I have a Kenwood TK-2180 with UPRR stamped on it that I picked up on eBay a few months ago sitting on my desk right now.
wow thanks for sharing. it's pretty hard to come across radios that came from the railroad. I know someone that inherited some from BNSF when a person that worked for the RR passed away from cancer. Usually they get turned in. I would think anyways.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
sweet find. I've always wanted a authentic RR radio like the ones with the RR names stamped in on them.

These things do pop up on eBay from time to time. My primary train-chasing radio is an Icom F3161 with NXDN enabled and railroad firmware, and "Norfolk Southern" stamped in the side. I've got it set up as RX only on the RR frequencies; works like a charm, especially with the Smiley 160 MHz 5/8-wave antenna on it.

However, for most folks a ham rig will work great, and no special programming software or cables needed.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking of upgrading my old 2m mobile radio that is over 15 years old. I was looking at the new Yeasu 2m radios but the sensitivity doesn't look that great. Anyone have experience with scanning the railroads with the newer current model of yeasu mobile or handheld radios? I'm looking at the Yeasu FT 2980 for mobile. I want to get a new handheld as well. any suggestions?
For ham rigs the Kenwood TM-281A and Icom IC-2300 both have really good filtering, but land mobile radios are better. For a handheld I like the Kenwood TK-K20A. Again, land mobile radios have better still filtering. If you absolutely don't need digital the TK-7180 is popular as others have said. Not sure what your budget is, but the NX-5000 series I understand have outstanding filtering (read: selectivity) and audio quality even for analog.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The "win at any cost" is a well known trait on ebay. It is not unusual to see bids on a used item higher than the "buy it now" price on the same new item.

cmdrwill

mmc missed one thing, RR IS mostly all narrow banded and you need a radio receiver that does narrowband well.

Status
Not open for further replies.