• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile radio hum

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
Installed a CDM 1250 in a Ford Interceptor Sedan. Used the upfitter wiring harness from the car. When transmitting, a humming sound is heard on the receiving side when the car is running. Also can hear the siren through the radio while transmitting.
Thought maybe it could have been the coax so it was replaced with a new nmo style mount and cable but the problem is still there.
Any ideas?

Kevin

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Which wiring did you tap into? There should be a large lead that comes off the battery, your radio should be attached to that.
Run your radio negative lead to body ground. In addition to that, ground the radio chassis to the body. Yes, I know the radio is grounded through the negative power lead and the antenna coax shield. You want the radio chassis grounded.

I'd also take a close look at the alternator and make sure it's not starting to go. You can put a digital multimeter on the power feed to the radio and set it to AC volts. It should read down in the millivolt AC range.

Also, if you are running a CTCSS tone on the radio TX side, and it's one of the higher frequency tones, you can sometimes get that come through on the receiving radio audio path if it's a cheap radio or doesn't have a pass filter on the audio path.

KE0VUL

Feed Provider
I'd also check the battery. Had one of those go not long after weird noises, I tapped into the lighter plug though. I've since went directly to the battery and chassis ground points. Little more work but so is routing the antenna wires in the first place.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
Which wiring did you tap into? There should be a large lead that comes off the battery, your radio should be attached to that.
Run your radio negative lead to body ground. In addition to that, ground the radio chassis to the body. Yes, I know the radio is grounded through the negative power lead and the antenna coax shield. You want the radio chassis grounded.

I'd also take a close look at the alternator and make sure it's not starting to go. You can put a digital multimeter on the power feed to the radio and set it to AC volts. It should read down in the millivolt AC range.

Also, if you are running a CTCSS tone on the radio TX side, and it's one of the higher frequency tones, you can sometimes get that come through on the receiving radio audio path if it's a cheap radio or doesn't have a pass filter on the audio path.
No wiring was tapped. There are 3 main power and 3 ground leads that go to the battery and fused and come into the car. It is a police package car, all the wiring is ran in the car. It's hooked up to one of the power and one of the grounds inside the car.
I had this exact problem with this same radio in a different car so I took wires directly to the battery and it still had the hum in the other car.
I forgot to mention that it doesn't make the hum when the car is off. I'll check the alternator when I get a chance.
It's a PL tone on TX.
CDM1250 vhf

12dbsinad

What else is in the car that powers up when you start it? Is there something common with the other car you had the radio in? Start pulling fuses to all your other aftermarket accessories and see if it goes away. Also make sure your grounds aren't all grouped together like so many upfitters love to do... causes ground loops, ground the radio by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.