• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile Radio Power Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue69

I have a wall plug adapter that is AC/DC so for monitoring purposes only I have a FT 8900 that I want to only listen on in the house could I power it this way? I will not be transmitting at all. Any insights would be great!!!

Rick

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu's spec says it only draws .5A on receive (squelched). If you're going to use an AC wall wart for the DC voltage, you should probably plan for at least a 750ma current draw to account for unsquelched operation, illumination, etc. And you'll need to be careful with the polarity of the connection to the radio. Making a mistake may let out all the factory-installed smoke.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The wall wart becomes a very important component so be absolutely sure you get a quality one lest you get that puff of smoke and a whiff of ozone that transforms the radio into a door stop.

brndnstffrd

Not what you are asking but Motorola had some laptop charger-esq style power supplies for their radios that are available cheaply on ebay. These would be preferable since they are real commercial grade communications power supplies so they should be relatively quiet as far as RF goes and you wouldnt have to worry about questionable quality. You would need to change the plug on either the supply or your radio to match but this would do what you want, and give you the ability to transmit in the future if you decide to. In my opinion it's not worth gambling a couple hundred dollar radio to save $20 on a decent power supply.

WB9YBM

I have a wall plug adapter that is AC/DC so for monitoring purposes only I have a FT 8900 that I want to only listen on in the house could I power it this way? I will not be transmitting at all. Any insights would be great!!!

Rick

I've had the situation where the "wall-warts" have been either poorly regulated or have inadequate filtering (or both). It's pretty much "pot luck" so they're not something I'd recommend unless you're willing/able to check the quality of the output (both under load & no load) and don't mind a bit of tinkering to get a good output. If you've got the room for a "normal"-sized supply, the brand I've had the best luck with is Astron...

bharvey2

I have used laptop sized 12VDC power supplies to power mobile radio in some circumstances. Usually for testing (no transmitting though) and programming) If you have one that can deliver a adequate current while maintaining 12-13VDC and is well filtered, it should be okay for your application.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I use a laptop size power supply to run a 20 watt base on 2 meters and 440, both transmit and receive. It has worked well for at least two years with three different radios, including a Yaesu FT-90R.

K4RBT

Make sure of the output voltage on laptop power bricks. Panasonic and IBM are 18 volts. Makes it hard to run my CF-18 in my truck, need an expensive up converter.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
This is not a laptop power supply. It is rated at 13.8 volts and has good filtering. I have done computer repair for 40 years and have a computer that runs off a 5V 3A usb power supply. The newest processors and other components have made major changes in power requirements. My newest HT has a 7.4V battery that can be charged from a standard usb port.

WB9YBM

I've seen even good power supplies act squirrely when there's RF around, especially when they're under load so it may not be a question of how good a supply is (well, a small part of the question), but how bullet-proof is it with RF around?

Status
Not open for further replies.