Mobile Radio recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasRedneck

hi im looking to get me a new mobile radio installed in my truck for work i will need to be able to head things such as Houston Metro Tran star, as well as my Atascocita fire department DPS Humble PD and Fire Precient 4, Harris county shierriff , and a few others is this possible with one radio im told it is and the guys at work were telling me to get a Vertex to do this and that it was the highest power radio to get and would work great so can anyone answer this or maybe tell me what radio i should get and aswell as an antenna has to be mag mount likei said this is my vehicle and im not goin all out for work

Just a ref.. i need to be able to have communications in Harris County Liberty County Walker County Montgomery County, and San Jacinto County)

Last edited:

af5rn

Can you clarify for us if you are talking about just a receiver, or if you need an actual transceiver that both listens and talks? Your post is confusing about what you are asking for.

And for future reference, you might take note that you are posting in the wrong forum. This has nothing to do with installations.

n8emr

TexasRedneck said:
hi im looking to get me a new mobile radio installed in my truck for work i will need to be able to head things such as Houston Metro Tran star, as well as my Atascocita fire department DPS Humble PD and Fire Precient 4, Harris county shierriff , and a few others is this possible with one radio im told it is and the guys at work were telling me to get a Vertex to do this and that it was the highest power radio to get and would work great so can anyone answer this or maybe tell me what radio i should get and aswell as an antenna has to be mag mount likei said this is my vehicle and im not goin all out for work

Just a ref.. i need to be able to have communications in Harris County Liberty County Walker County Montgomery County, and San Jacinto County)

You will need to determine if ALL these systems are are on the same band VHF or UHF, if not then two radio's will be needed and You will also need written permission from each dept to put a radio on there system. Without knowing the specific of each system its hard to say what radio is the correct one. I looked through the tx database but not sure where each county is.

af5rn

TexasRedneck said:
i will need to talk back to only with a few of them tho
I'm not sure why you are still being unresponsive to us about exactly what you need. Unless we know EXACTLY what agencies you need to talk to, we simply cannot answer your question. Period.

All the systems you list require at least three, if not four different radios. There is no one radio made that will do them all. They are different bands across the entire spectrum. There are a couple of scanners that will cover them all, but no transceivers.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
You have to tell us what frequencies the agencies are operating on for their radios. like VHF in the 150Mhz range, UHF 450Mhz range or lowband around 40Mhz. then everyone can start to help you, also you need to specify which frequencies you need to talk back on. but you will need the written permission when you go and get it programmed at the dealers shop

TexasRedneck

ok i know my fire department operates on 800MHz bu im not sure about Metro Transtar and Metro Transtar is the only one i will need to be able have to talk to over the radio i really dont HAVE to have all of the other counties just mainly the area where i will be working in i work for a hazmat first responder company so thats the reason im looking to be able to just hear local things like wrecks and stuff on the radios and i really dont know what frequency's these places operate on mostly i would need to find out what montgomery county harris county and humble PD/fire/ems operate off of

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
If your fire dept. needs you to have your own radio to transmit on, they should provide it for you. In most departments that I know of, only Captains, Lieutenants, and Chiefs are allowed to have personal radios that transmit. If they do authorize you to have a personal radio but for some reason will not provide it, they will tell you what type of radio you need.

Other than that, it sounds like all you need is a scanner.

EDIT:
I guess it still isn't clear who exactly you work for. Are you a member of the fire dept. or do you work for a private company that works with the fire dept? If it's a private company, you probably aren't authorized to have a radio that will transmit on any public safety frequency. The only frequency you might be able to transmit on is one that is licensed to your company.

Last edited:

Ch1ronTL34

Wouldn't the agencies you're supposed to be able to talk to know this information better than a bunch of strangers on the internet? Why don't you ask the particular agencies in question?

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
Well, to talk to Metro Traffic, you are going to need a 450MHz radio with nothing special. Please make sure that you talk to Ted at transtar about getting a radio ID for Metro Traffic, unless you already have one. We don't take kindly to people just getting on and transmitting. To listen to everyone else, get a trunking scanner. If you want to be able to talk to your Fire department, you are going to have to get a department issued radio because it is on STAR-Net. If you have anymore questions pm me or email me, and I am number 1220 on Metro Traffic by the way.

TexasRedneck

no i dont need to be abl to talk to my department but yes i am a fire fighter but i only need to be able to listen to my FD because im out of rang for my minitor to pick up but my com guy told me if i were to have a scanner or something like that i should be able to pick it up and then i told him about me gettin a radio in my truck for work and he said i should be able to have it programmed into that radio and yes i know to talk to Ted bout getting me a number most of the time i am with the 2 guys who are 66 and 68 on Metro and i work for the fire department as well as Milstead Environmental and HMP and for milstead we do a lot of work with fire depts PD and many other things and the main way we get calls is by thes radios

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
TexasRedneck said:
no i dont need to be abl to talk to my department but yes i am a fire fighter but i only need to be able to listen to my FD because im out of rang for my minitor to pick up but my com guy told me if i were to have a scanner or something like that i should be able to pick it up and then i told him about me gettin a radio in my truck for work and he said i should be able to have it programmed into that radio and yes i know to talk to Ted bout getting me a number most of the time i am with the 2 guys who are 66 and 68 on Metro and i work for the fire department as well as Milstead Environmental and HMP and for milstead we do a lot of work with fire depts PD and many other things and the main way we get calls is by thes radios

Ladies and Germs, we have a winner for the best run-on sentence so far in May :D

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
TexasRedneck said:

Ok, send me a pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.